4 Replies Latest reply on Jul 12, 2017 1:35 AM by PointInSpace

Webdirect basics

WilliamDuncan

I am currently running FMP 15 on a MacBook Pro under Sierra (macOS 10.12.5).

I've spent several hours over the past 3 days trying to get some basic questions answered about setting up my first web-based database. I've read lots of words, but everything I've read seems geared to someone who has implemented web-based databases before. I even sent an inquiry to FM's sales staff, but the answer I got was unhelpful.

While I've been using FM since it first came out, all of my databases run locally on my laptop. I am an absolute novice for online databases.

Here's a quick overview of my application ... I run a certification program for my professional society. Candidates complete an MSWord-forms application, email to me, and I convert it to text for loading into FM. I would like to eliminate that form and have them enter all of the info online. The application form is pretty simple: the usual name and address info, two professional references, preferred exam dates, and a couple of check boxes.

So here are my questions ...

1.  It appears that I must buy a copy of FileMaker Server. Is that correct? Or can I do this will just FMP? FMP appears to allow me to upload my database using FileMaker WebDirect, but I don't know if I can access the database through FMP.

2.  We currently use SiteGround to host our website. If we need Server, I'm assuming that it would have to be installed by them?

3.  I may have 200-300 unique, individual applicants over the course of a year. None of them would access the database more than once, or twice if they need to make corrections. I can't imagine that more than 2 of them would ever access the database simultaneously. Does a 5-user license cover this? Or do I need a 300 user license? The language in the manual and on the website makes it sound like I need a license for each unique user, not each simultaneous user.

4.  How do users get access to the database? Do we create a unique URL for the database?

5.  Do users need to install anything ahead of time? Or is an approved browser sufficient?

Thanks in advance ...

• 1. Re: Webdirect basics
          CarlSchwarz

WilliamDuncan wrote:

1. It appears that I must buy a copy of FileMaker Server. Is that correct? Or can I do this will just FMP? FMP appears to allow me to upload my database using FileMaker WebDirect, but I don't know if I can access the database through FMP.

2. We currently use SiteGround to host our website. If we need Server, I'm assuming that it would have to be installed by them?

3. I may have 200-300 unique, individual applicants over the course of a year. None of them would access the database more than once, or twice if they need to make corrections. I can't imagine that more than 2 of them would ever access the database simultaneously. Does a 5-user license cover this? Or do I need a 300 user license? The language in the manual and on the website makes it sound like I need a license for each unique user, not each simultaneous user.

4. How do users get access to the database? Do we create a unique URL for the database?

5. Do users need to install anything ahead of time? Or is an approved browser sufficient?

Thanks in advance ...

1) Yes you must buy FileMaker Server

2) No FileMaker Server can not be run on a web host.   FileMaker Server will run on Windows Server or OSX.  You can also run it on "FileMaker Cloud"

3) FileMaker for teams licensing requires one license per user.  You can buy legacy concurrent licensing for your needs

4) Yes

5) Most browsers are fine but not all browsers: Requirements for accessing FileMaker WebDirect solutions | FileMaker

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Webdirect basics
            user1069

1. Yes, you need a copy of FileMaker Server or a FileMaker Cloud license (see below).

2. Yes, but... you need more than a standard Hosting account because FileMaker Server only runs on Windows and Mac OS. As such, you may be in dedicated server territory unless they're able to provide a Windows hosting environment (usually as a virtual server instance). Otherwise you should look into FileMaker Cloud hosting on AWS.

3. You need a 5-user connection license, either on your own server or purchased from the AWS marketplace for FileMaker Cloud hosting.

4. Yes, your hosting provider will help you do this or, if using FileMaker Cloud, you'll register a domain name and configure Amazon Route 53 to associate it with your AWS server.

5. If designed correctly, you only need to provide your users with a URL to enter their data.

• 3. Re: Webdirect basics
              CarlSchwarz

Just note that if you google "FileMaker Hosting <your country>" then you can find lots of hosting providers that can provide the full setup for you.  They will take care of things like SSL certificates etc.

2 of 2 people found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Webdirect basics
                PointInSpace

Note that we provide complete hosting for FileMaker Server, with none of the hidden fees associated with FileMaker Cloud or AWS.  Please contact me off-list at jmay(at)pointinspace.com for details.  Thanks!

- John May: Point In Space