6 Replies Latest reply on Jul 18, 2017 2:15 PM by bigtom

Connecting to a networked scale

wade_knopf

We would like to create a truck scale app for our production data. Our scale can be accessed at 10.10.10.29 then sent commands to give the weight. Can this be done? Has anyone done it?

• 1. Re: Connecting to a networked scale
          coherentkris

Getting data from a device can be done.

Whether your scale can be communicated with is dependent on the functionality built into the scale.

You should be able to find documentation on the scale manufacturers website.

Once you figure out what the scale can do then we can figure our how to interact with it, if at all.

• 2. Re: Connecting to a networked scale
            philmodjunk

Note that if you can set up a system script that "reads" the device and generates a text file, FileMaker can run that script and import the data in the text file. That may allow you to do this without any plug in or third party app.

In addition to working with the technical info for your scale manufacturer etc., you may also need to work with a government agency. Where I am, there's a state bureau of weights and measures that gets involved and some (Now very old) research that I did on something like this revealed that once I had it working, I'd have to get a guy to come down and certify that the software was recording an accurate read from the device. It didn't look like it would be too hard to meet that requirement, but it was one more step in the dance...

• 3. Re: Connecting to a networked scale
              taylorsharpe

Does the device has a RESTful API.  Then you can figure out the POSTS and GETS and all with Insert from URL.  Or maybe it is just web scraping if it is just a web page and no API.  Or it could be with a serial connection, but you would need the TROI Serial plugin.  Lots of possibilities depending on the scale.  Do you know the scale and its documentation? 

• 4. Re: Connecting to a networked scale
                wade_knopf

To read the weight you can telnet in on port 1701. Give the command r wt0101. The scale responds with the current weight.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                • 5. Re: Connecting to a networked scale
                  wade_knopf

To read the weight you can telnet in on port 1701. Give the command r wt0101. The scale responds with the current weight.

• 6. Re: Connecting to a networked scale
                    bigtom

Maybe Insert from URL with cURL using telnet://10.10.10.29:1701 would work??? Never tried this.