5 Replies Latest reply on Jul 15, 2017 11:27 AM by patricia

Quick Find bulk removal

simoncpage

I hadn't used quick find historically but realise that via the iPad/iPhone the search works quick nicely top right but I doubt you can edit that magnifying glass icon? So my issue is that I want to bulk remove all but a few fields from my layout (as quick find isn't quick currently) but I have hundreds of fields. I tried selecting all in layout mode and then uncheck from inspector but this isn't picking up all of the fields (multiple nested tabs, popover buttons and sliders etc) and difficult to tell which it has missed without checking them all which is going to be painstaking and also it is annoying that you can't change the default that fields are in quick find on creation (unless I have overlooked this somewhere?).

So in short - Is there a way to:

1. Remove all fields on a layout from the quick find so I can just reselect the 10 fields I want?
      2. Can I make it default that new fields aren't included in quick find? (albeit I can get round that with part 1)
      3. Can I turn off quick find icon in iPad or configure it? (if option 1 and 2 aren't possible?)

Thanks

• 1. Re: Quick Find bulk removal
          CamelCase_data

Select all fields in layout mode (command+A will do it, even if it also selects other objects - or else, select a field and then use command-option-A to select all fields), then in the Inspector, you'll normally see "Include field for QuickFind" with a dash in it, indicating that some fields are selected and others not. Click once to check for all, and then a second time to uncheck for all.

You can uncheck "Enable Quick Find" for the entire layout in Layout Setup, if there are layouts where you don't want Quick Find to be active.

You can also use that as a not-so-convenient workaround to the issue of new fields always defaulting to being included in Quick Find. Tick the option off, add your fields, and once you're done, tick the layout option on again.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Quick Find bulk removal
            simoncpage

I tried this already as mentioned and turn all off as I thought that would work too but then clicked on a field in a popover and it was still checked so I don't think command A is selecting everything? Try it for yourself - if you open a popover and hit select all the fields in the displayed popover don't appear selected?

1 of 1 people found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Quick Find bulk removal
              simoncpage

So I have been through and I think I have been through all the popovers and removed them from the quick find. My issue now is that quick find from an iPad is just not quick and I don't really know if I have missed any fields that potentially could be being searched as there is not a list anywhere to manage the quick search fields (If I do a standard find request on the iPad and search in 4 fields its nice and quick).

Thanks

• 4. Re: Quick Find bulk removal
                CamelCase_data

I hadn't noticed this before myself, but it does indeed seem like the "Select" actions don't work properly for objects inside popover. I'd be tempted to call that a bug... haven't checked yet to see if it's been reported or not.

If you have FileMaker Pro Advanced, you can create an XML DDR and use a tool like BaseElements to quickly find all the Field Objects that have QuickFind on (or off).

• 5. Re: Quick Find bulk removal
                  patricia

This is only part of what you were asking but if you are in version 16. Have you tried to use the new "Object Layout" inspector to select and work with the fields.

patricia