6 Replies Latest reply on Jul 18, 2017 11:04 AM by beverly

Edit layout menu to easily read long layout names

lrodri007

I have been playing around with trying to change the way the layout menu looks so I can read longer layout names. Does anyone know if this is possible?   I attached a picture grab of what I am referring to.  I can see my layout when I go into the menu since it has a checkbox next to active layout but I want to be able to drag that vertical separator to the right and have the layout name dropdown expand and show longer names as shown in image.

Filemaker Menu.jpg

• 1. Re: Edit layout menu to easily read long layout names
          beverly

Here's a thought: make the names so the "short name" that shows is good enough & append details (that won't show) if you really need more. Folders have really helped me trim layout names.

Sent from miPhone

• 2. Re: Edit layout menu to easily read long layout names
            lrodri007

By appending details do you mean folder names?  I have begun to use folders as remedy of chaotic workspace.  All the below layouts were originally just all listed   As I work more and more I learn more efficient techniques. 

But in this case I am hard headed and want my long description with the layout itself, as my short name goes with the folder structure.  I guess another week or so and I'll stay were I'm at with workspace or change something up. 

Just thought there was some way to expand that separator in first post, I mean why put it there in first place

Layout names-description.jpeg

• 3. Re: Edit layout menu to easily read long layout names
              beverly

Make that long one:

"Prgm_Enroll RPRT Full History Demographic"

If all you see is "Prgm Enroll..." inside that folder then you are ok with the long name in the drop down.

That's my suggestion, if you insist on long Layout names!

Beverly

1 of 1 people found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Edit layout menu to easily read long layout names
                user19752

I don't see the separator on Windows, and separator left of "New Record" button does nothing.

There is very wide unused space at the line, so it is worth to make "Product Idea".

• 5. Re: Edit layout menu to easily read long layout names
                  lrodri007

Yeah will have to change things around...Next logical step is to remove RPRT_ from name since I already created the folder mentioning that, jaja, very redundant.   Something I did at beginning to keep things tidy, of course once in folders that describe the contents being reports, I guess I can start making things shorter. 

But, I will still send email to suggest some product updates when it comes to UX.... another funny one is the field picker being static and not letting me expand "horizontally" long field names.  As I begin to build my own solutions I'm comfortable with to the point names, but I have worked with other already made solutions with longer names and somewhat frustrating we are limited on editing the UX windows.

• 6. Re: Edit layout menu to easily read long layout names
                    beverly

Agreed! Post to ideas for better dialogs. (There may already be similar ideas, so you may search & vote).

Sent from miPhone