4 Replies Latest reply on Jul 17, 2017 10:25 AM by TSGal

Multiple objects selection showing only total height, width

GarySprung

Product and version: 16.02

OS and version: Mac El Capitan

Description:

Before 16, I would often select a group of fields or their labels, then look at Position Inspector to see if they are all the same height or width. (I want them the same for precision, good-looking layouts. Minor differences are easily seen by the human eye.)

In 15, if the individual heights and widths are the same, their common, individual width or height displays. If not the same, those Inspector fields would display a hyphen. Because the Inspector now gives only the total, I have to click on each object individually to see its height.

Workaround Click each object individually.

Comment: I'm sure many users would desire the total height and width. How to show if they are all the same? Maybe something like an option-click?

• 1. Re: Multiple objects selection showing only total height, width
          Benjamin Fehr

Workaround Click each object individually.

=> use LayoutObjectEditor

Comment: I'm sure many users would desire the total height and width. How to show if they are all the same? Maybe something like an option-click?

sure this will be debated very controversial

• 2. Re: Multiple objects selection showing only total height, width
            TSGal

GarySprung:

Thank you for your post.

Prior to FileMaker 16, moving multiple objects to precise placement was difficult as the position values were blank.  This was changed in FileMaker 16, and as a result, the changing of height/width of multiple objects was no longer possible.  I have forwarded your post to our Development and Testing departments along with the option-click suggestion for consideration, and I also recommend you post this information to our Product Ideas board at:    Product Ideas

The Product Ideas board is monitored by Product Management and Development.  All entries are read, discussed and considered for possible implementation in a future release.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 3. Re: Multiple objects selection showing only total height, width
              flybynight

I prefer the new behavior, as you don't have to group/ungroup objects to see the total height/width anymore… but I can see how both ways are useful.

As a minor correction to what TSGal posted:

This was changed in FileMaker 16, and as a result, the changing of height/width of multiple objects was no longer possible.

It is actually still possible to change multiple objects' height/width in the inspector… it's just not very intuitive.

If you have multiple objects selected, their total height/width will be shown, and it will look grayed out. But if you click in and type a new value, all objects are set to that value, individually… just like before.

This is very handy… just not very intuitive. Most users will not think that they can change the grayed out values… and would probably assume that changing it would alter to total height/width (as if they were grouped), not the individual height/width.

Perhaps we need 2 more fields in the inspector, specifically for total height/width, and revert the existing fields to their v15 behavior?

2 of 2 people found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Multiple objects selection showing only total height, width
                TSGal

flybynight:

Excellent!  Thanks for pointing this out.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.