2 Replies Latest reply on Jul 20, 2017 1:39 PM by steveromig

Is it possible to import a layout from a previous version of a FileMaker database?

user3366

My application has what appears to be a corrupt layout. The "Hide Object When" formula no longer works correctly. Several objects have the exact same formula but some of them hide and others don't. I have verified the record data is correct. The form is unchanged. The form in previous versions of the database display and print correctly. I am hosting on FileMaker Advanced version 14.0.6 in a peer to peer network with clients on version 14.0.6 & 15.0.3.305

• 1. Re: Is it possible to import a layout from a previous version of a FileMaker database?
          beverly

I would stop all sharing before doing so. Close files AND make backup(s) of everything next...

But yes, you can copy from 14 and paste into 15. If you mean from pre-13, then I would convert the "old" file into 15 (latest version you have) and then copy from there. Delete this "new" file.

Beverly

• 2. Re: Is it possible to import a layout from a previous version of a FileMaker database?
            steveromig

My application has what appears to be a corrupt layout. The "Hide Object When" formula no longer works correctly. Several objects have the exact same formula but some of them hide and others don't. I have verified the record data is correct. The form is unchanged. The form in previous versions of the database display and print correctly. I am hosting on FileMaker Advanced version 14.0.6 in a peer to peer network with clients on version 14.0.6 & 15.0.3.305

What Beverly said is true (thanks Beverly)

...but it is worth noting that if you copy / paste a layout from one file to another file, you will get the layout objects on that layout to come over but it does not copy the schema / field definitions / etc. used on the layout.  It will be up to you to define all that in the new file and then hook the schema up to your layout. 

A common misconception is that copying and pasting will provide a working and functional layout and, in most cases, some additional work will be necessary after you paste it.

Steve Romig

FileMaker, Inc.

1 of 1 people found this helpful