10 Replies Latest reply on Jul 19, 2017 11:28 AM by KenNewell

.msi for deployemnt

KenNewell

My IT guys wanted me to ask if there was a way to set a default host as part of a system center install of FM16?

• 1. Re: .msi for deployemnt
          bigtom

Is this for FMP VLA or FLT?

• 2. Re: .msi for deployemnt
            KenNewell

VLA

• 3. Re: .msi for deployemnt
              bigtom

I know it is possible for FLT. vinaddala is there an AI parameter for default host server in standard FMP client? I would be very interested in this as well. Maybe a preinstalled favorite?

• 4. Re: .msi for deployemnt
                Menno

Is the FMP-networkinstall: https://fmhelp.filemaker.com/docs/16/en/fmpnisg/ an option for you? Fill in the correct values in "Assisted Install.txt" and no user will need to enter the installcode... only works with (A)VLA, SBA etc. licenses

• 5. Re: .msi for deployemnt
                  bigtom

Menno van Beek wrote:

Is the FMP-networkinstall: https://fmhelp.filemaker.com/docs/16/en/fmpnisg/ an option for you? Fill in the correct values in "Assisted Install.txt" and no user will need to enter the installcode... only works with (A)VLA, SBA etc. licenses

Looking for a default server option setting in the Assisted Install.txt file. If it exists, it is not published.

• 6. Re: .msi for deployemnt
                    Menno

I'm not a native english-speaker, so I may have misunderstood ".msi ..... etc." sorry for that

Even so, if you do plan to create some scripted installation, you may as well distribute a URL-starter-file like the attached file.

Edit

fmp://ipaddressORfqdn_ofyourserver/SolutionStarterFile

in that file into  your own preference and put it on the user's desktop. This little file works both on MacOS and on Windows.

On MacOS you can use TextWrangler or BBEdit to edit it and on Windows you can edit it by right-click on the desktop and choose "properties" and then edit the URL into your needs.

If this cannot work for you, you may create an HTML-file on the intranet-server where you can show fmp-protocol-links to the users.

• 7. Re: .msi for deployemnt
                      DLarsen

Isn't this essentially what Bonjour is supposed to do; make the host database easily discoverable?

There is a way to deploy a desktop shortcut using System Center. I think you can also make the FM application be a prerequisite for deploying the shortcut.

• 8. Re: .msi for deployemnt
                        okramis

You could do this with the "Active Setup"-functionality.

Create a File with the needed registry entries in HKCU i.e.

reg add "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\FileMaker\FileMaker Pro\16.0\FavHostInfo\Entry0" /t REG_SZ /v "Address" /d "mini.fritz.box" /f

reg add "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\FileMaker\FileMaker Pro\16.0\FavHostInfo\Entry0" /t REG_DWORD /v "FileOption" /d 00000001 /f

reg add "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\FileMaker\FileMaker Pro\16.0\FavHostInfo\Summary" /t REG_DWORD /v "Entries" /d 00000001 /f

(change "mini.fritz.box" to your hosts name)

name it "FavHostFM.cmd" and place it i.e. in C:\Temp

then edit the "FileMaker Pro 16.msi" with "SuperOrca" and under "Registry" add a row like this:

Registry:  FMCurrentUserHKLM

Root:  2

Key:  Software\Microsoft\Active Setup\Installed Components\[ProductCode]

Name:  StubPath

Value:  cmd /c "C:\Temp\FavHostFM.cmd"

Component:  FileMaker_Pro.exe

(change "C:\Temp\FavHostFM.cmd" according to your path/filename)

Install FM with the modified msi, the cmd-file then will run once for every user on login.

best regards

Otmar

• 9. Re: .msi for deployemnt
                          KenNewell

Thanks for the various answers I will have my IT guys review.  We use system center to roll out installs and we did not see any documentation about setting the host.  The users  don't want to deal with setting hosts etc.  They just want to quickly get into our solution and it seems to help if we have our server set.  Hoping there was a one to do during the installation.

• 10. Re: .msi for deployemnt
                            KenNewell

I will run this by the IT guys.  Thanks.