9 Replies Latest reply on Jul 20, 2017 4:34 PM by CarlSchwarz

Forgot sign in password

thekops

Hi guys, is there a way to retrieve my password for my filemaker file?? I tried change the password of the file and now I cant log in. HELP PLEASE!!

• 1. Re: Forgot sign in password
          coherentkris

if you have used the baked in FM Account  security then you might have some luck contacting FM Inc.

if you have not deleted or deactivated the default Admin account then try opening the file with Admin and no password.

There are some PW crackers out there that may get your credentials but they will destroy your file.

if you have a backup of the file from pre PW change you can open that and start again.

If you have created your own scripted security system you can open the debugger and open the file and step thru the script that runs OnFirstWindowOpen.

• 2. Re: Forgot sign in password
            thekops

Is the baked in FM Account Security, the one where I must enter my PW before opening the file??

• 3. Re: Forgot sign in password
              CarlSchwarz

Got a backup?

• 4. Re: Forgot sign in password
                thekops

Nope, I dont think so..

• 5. Re: Forgot sign in password
                  CarlSchwarz

It's fine if you didn't turn on encryption which it sounds like you didn't.  FileMaker used to offer to recover or reset passwords, not sure if they still do now but you could ask.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                  • 6. Re: Forgot sign in password
                    steveromig

It's fine if you didn't turn on encryption which it sounds like you didn't. FileMaker used to offer to recover or reset passwords, not sure if they still do now but you could ask.

FYI...

We (FileMaker, Inc.) DO NOT offer a service to recover or reset passwords.

What we do offer that is file related is a service that attempts to recover your data if your FileMaker file becomes corrupted.

Steve Romig

FileMaker, Inc.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                    • 7. Re: Forgot sign in password
                      Steve Wright

As mentioned by coherentkristhere are password crackers out there, but if using one of them, I wouldn't trust the file afterwards, at all.  They don't recover your password, instead they write a new password to the file so you can gain access to it.  Who knows what sort of damage is done in the process. 

Therefore, I don't believe that this is what you would be looking for, since it won't get you your password back to use in an untouched/clean copy of your file, but if you are, I have used Passware on an earlier version of FM files (fp7 format file) and it did what it said on the tin, at least on those files.

The only reason I used it was to see what could be done to my solution files in the wild, which have admin accounts stripped out anyway.  Curiosity and all that.

• 8. Re: Forgot sign in password
                        FileKraft

what file type is your FMP file? did you rename the file? did you use password manager or keychain - maybe you can retrieve it there?

There are professional services who can help you without destroying/corruption your file. For example check out FMDiff.com

• 9. Re: Forgot sign in password
                          CarlSchwarz

thanks for the clarification, i thought i saw a post years ago, on a different forum that said you could do that. I will be sure to remember it is not an option!