14 Replies Latest reply on Jul 21, 2017 9:35 AM by rcollins

Uploading DevCon2Go17 file onto cloud...

rcollins

I'll be going back and forth between my laptop, iphone and iPad, and thought that uploading DevCon2Go17.fmp12 to FM Cloud would be a convenient way to share one set of data.

I've got it encrypted and uploaded to Cloud, but for some reason I'm unable to open it in the admin panel. It will prompt me for the encryption password (which has the required upper/lower/characters/length) but after I click "Ok", it just returns to the main screen without opening it. I only have one other database open, out of a total of 3 on my cloud instance, and there are no users logged on.

Is anybody else trying to host a version, and are there any particularities about this file that I need to keep in mind?

Thanks

• 1. Re: Uploading DevCon2Go17 file onto cloud...
          TSPigeon

rcollins:

Thank you for your post!

I also experience this behavior when trying to open the file on FileMaker Cloud when all other files work as expected.

Any ideas lavendt?

TSPigeon

FileMaker, Inc.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Uploading DevCon2Go17 file onto cloud...
            rcollins

Thank you for confirming.

• 3. Re: Uploading DevCon2Go17 file onto cloud...
              lavendt

Hi Both

Thank you for using DevCon2Go17.

I do not have a FM Cloud server available to me right now, so I can't do the exact same test.

However, there should not be anything in the file, that should cause problems.

When you use FMPA to encrypt the file, you are required to enter a full account, but when you upload to FMC and open the file there - I believe the CAC is just asking you for an encryption password to be applied.

Not sure if there is a difference here...

Also, the file have auto login set on the file.

The solution was developed on a server, but not encrypted.

If you are hosting it, you should also host the barcode creator file, which get's exported from a container field.

Be aware that the "in-app" updater is not working when you host on a server.

Finally, the DevCon2Go was designed with the awareness in mind, that most attendees do use both iPhone, iPads and laptops during the conference.

That is the reason it has features to create a sharing file of your sessions on MySchedule, save it to a cloud destination like iCloud or DropBox and import it from your other devices.

So, you should not really have a need to host the solution.

A final note.... please download the Event.log from the Cloud Admin Console to see the error message to why you are not able to open the file on FMC....

• 4. Re: Uploading DevCon2Go17 file onto cloud...
                TSPigeon

Reading back on this, it is expected behavior.

FileMaker Cloud does not support the Login Using feature due to the password requirement for database files.

Without being able to disable Login Using, you won't be able to host on Cloud.

On a side note, FileMaker Server has the option to disable this Password requirement and would work.

TSPigeon

FileMaker, Inc.

• 5. Re: Uploading DevCon2Go17 file onto cloud...
                  lavendt

I don't think you are right that this is expected behaviour...

The setting in both FMS and FMC is a requirement to only host files, where the Full Access account have a password applied.

DevCon2Go DOES have a Full Access account with both username and password.

The auto login account is a user account with full read/write privileges, but it also does have both username and password.

On FileMaker Cloud, you can not disable the requirement to only host databases, where the Full Access account have a password. You CAN disable this on FMS.

• 6. Re: Uploading DevCon2Go17 file onto cloud...
                    rcollins

Thank you both for engaging with this question.

TSPigeon, I assume you are referencing: "FileMaker files that have the default account name of "Admin" with no password will be blocked from being uploaded until a valid password is configured for that account." from this instruction document.

It's been my experience that using FileMaker Cloud is more nuanced than any written instructions suggest. If I remember correctly, if File Options indicates an auto-login, I think the first login has to be non-admin privilege, but subsequent logins can be admin access. I may be wrong but don't have time to test this all out again. I tried it all ways I could think of for Claus' file and none of them worked. I agree with Claus in that I don't think we are experiencing expected behavior.

• 7. Re: Uploading DevCon2Go17 file onto cloud...
                      TSPigeon

FileMaker Cloud Help states:

FileMaker Cloud does not support automatic login to a FileMaker Pro file using a specific account and password. If you upload a file and then change the file options in FileMaker Pro to specify an account and password, the file will not subsequently open in FileMaker Cloud.

Apologies for not clarifying previously.

I hope this helps!

TSPigeon

FileMaker, Inc.

• 8. Re: Uploading DevCon2Go17 file onto cloud...
                        rcollins

I removed the auto-login features and then I encrypted the file. Then I uploaded it to FM Cloud. Am still having the same problem.

TSPigeon, are you able to get this working with your own copy of the file on FMCloud?

Thanks

• 9. Re: Uploading DevCon2Go17 file onto cloud...
                          TSPigeon

Having a "Face to Palm" moment. After playing around with the file I found that the issue was the Minimum Version Required option in File Options. It was set to 16 and Cloud is currently based off of 15 Software. Changing the Version to 15 resolved the Open issue on Cloud.

Hopefully this resolves for you too!

TSPigeon

FileMaker, Inc.

3 of 3 people found this helpful
                          • 10. Re: Uploading DevCon2Go17 file onto cloud...
                            beverly

Aha! It's the little things.

• 11. Re: Uploading DevCon2Go17 file onto cloud...
                              RosemaryTietge

DevCon2Go requires FileMaker 16. FileMaker Cloud is based on FileMaker 15. If you use Developer Tools to unlock DevCon2Go and change File Options -> Minimum version allowed to open this file to 15, it will open on FileMaker Cloud. Once it's running on FileMaker Cloud, you'll be able to open it from all your devices.

This is the error reported before I changed the version:

Database "DevCon2Go17" could not be opened. Database version incompatible; try opening in FileMaker Pro.

4 of 4 people found this helpful
                              • 12. Re: Uploading DevCon2Go17 file onto cloud...
                                rcollins

Thank you all for figuring out what was going on. I now have it up and running and am glad to be able to enjoy a synced version on my iPhone, iPad and laptop.

Might I suggest that the downloadable file be edited to allow hassle-free compatibility for future downloaders?

• 13. Re: Uploading DevCon2Go17 file onto cloud...
                                  lavendt

Thanks Rosemary - the log reveals many things.

DevCon2Go17 is designed to showcase FMGO 16 feature, beside being a useful tool for the conference. That's the reason it have the setting for 16 as minimum. It was not designed to be hosted and features like QR code and tha App updating requires the file to be local.

So that's the reason for the design.

I hope we all get a great conference.