7 Replies Latest reply on Jul 19, 2017 6:22 PM by philmodjunk

GTRR In Popover

Tom_Droz

Hi Windows FM14ADV

Is there a way to go to a related record in a popover?

I have a portal that when I click on it I would like the popover to show the record from the portal.  I know I can do this using a new window but wondering if it can be done with popover, thanks!

• 1. Re: GTRR In Popover
          alecgregory

Yes, just make sure the popover is in the portal and then you can show more fields from the portal Table Occurrence in the popover.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: GTRR In Popover
            philmodjunk

Yep, I often use this trick on an iphone screen as a way to show more detail or open up fields for editing data in the portal record.

• 3. Re: GTRR In Popover
              Tom_Droz

So you would just place the popover inside the portal, then a go to object will show that portal record?

I'm placing it well within the portal but if I move the portal it dosent move so it isn't in the portal.  Any trick to get in in the portal?  I tried moving it with the arrow keys (that usually works) but it isn't becoming part of the portal

• 4. Re: GTRR In Popover
                alecgregory

Make it smaller than the height and width of the portal row then drag it in. Moving it in with the arrow keys doesn't work. Once it's in there you can resize it to the same height and width of the portal row if you wish.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                • 5. Re: GTRR In Popover
                  philmodjunk

No go to object needed. Just put a popover button in the portal row and put the fields from the portal's table occurrence into the popover panel. Click the popover to open it. As long as you are adding fields from the portal's table occurrence, this works. You can, within certain limitations even add fields from other related table occurrences.

The one thing that you can't do is put another portal inside such a popover panel.

• 6. Re: GTRR In Popover
                    Tom_Droz

That is the problem, I have a portal in the popover, that's why it wont let me put that object in the portal

• 7. Re: GTRR In Popover
                      philmodjunk

Then you aren't doing what you described in your original post.

I have a portal that when I click on it I would like the popover to show the record from the portal.

Showing a "record from the portal" does not require the use of a portal inside the popover panel.

You can put portals into popover panels, BTW, just not when the button itself is located inside the row of a portal. And that's the key to how to work around this and then we do need go to object or go to field to make this work. The work around for showing that portal is to move the actual popover button outside of the portal, hide the button permanently using Hide Object When and use a regular button placed inside the portal row that:

a) captures any needed data, such as a primary key from the portal record in variables and/or global fields

b) uses go to object (or go to field) to open the popover.

By setting the appropriate match field and setting up the correct relationship, the popover can display different records in this second portal for each portal row record in the first portal. With a bit of layout sleight of hand, the popover can appear to open out of the side of the first portal.