7 Replies Latest reply on Jul 22, 2017 3:08 PM by RickWhitelaw

Sierra: No Time Machine backups without login session?

olafseifert

Hello everyone,

I cannot believe that I am the only one with this problem for I did not found any posts anywhere about this issue:

I found macOS Sierra doesn't create Time Machine backups until you start a login session. Leaving the Mac at the login window seems to prevent Time Machine from working. That's with all FileMaker Server 15 Macs I support but also with Macs running Server or Macs with even nothing particular added but a running web service. And it has nothing to do if the Backup target is a hard disk drive or a network share of a Mac server.

The Database directory of the FMS machines is excluded, energy saving is completely off.

I have no idea. Does anyone else have?

Regards from Hamburg,

Olaf

• 1. Re: Sierra: No Time Machine backups without login session?
          FileKraft

frankly Time Machine is not a reliable backup solution for a FM Server installation.

it should not even be activated and it is good that it won't interfere with FMS.

Because it would copy open fm files and they would not be worth much in case of rolling back when the backup would be required. FMS needs to close the files properly and write its cache back properly.

The best is have a pro  backup software just backing up what internal FM back up schedule created incl. incremental backups where at least one copy is closed.

• 2. Re: Sierra: No Time Machine backups without login session?
            RickWhitelaw

ONLY use Time Machine to back up the FMSbackups. Never live files. I find it works fine without being logged into any of the 3 Macs I run.

• 3. Re: Sierra: No Time Machine backups without login session?
              RickWhitelaw

There's nothing wrong with Time Machine when used properly. On a Mac a third party backup solution is completely unnecessary.

• 4. Re: Sierra: No Time Machine backups without login session?
                olafseifert

FileKraft,

Thanks for your post. When I wrote "The Database directory of the FMS machines is excluded" I meant, the directory "/Library/FileMaker Server/Data/Databases" is in Time Machines' list of items not to be backed up as you may read here, also:

FileMaker and Time Machine | FileMaker

I am aware of Time Machine of being not able to backup open files. But it has no problem with closed databases, this is related to all versions in "/Library/FileMaker Server/Data/Backups", too. If you chose an suitable backup strategy in FMS, Time Machine can do its job to copy the backuped files elsewhere.

Unfortunately, you cannot tell FileMaker Server to backup its shared databases to a network share, then one would be safe in case of a disk crash...

2 of 2 people found this helpful
                • 5. Re: Sierra: No Time Machine backups without login session?
                  olafseifert

I used Time Machine in exactly the same way I described above, but with El Capitan:

• FileMaker Server did its backups to local hard drive
                  • Time Machine created backups of these FMS backups on a OS X Server share (Time Machine service)
                  • Time Machine did this WITHOUT any active login session, leaving the FMS service alone.

And this scenario is broken since Sierra

2 of 2 people found this helpful
                  • 6. Re: Sierra: No Time Machine backups without login session?
                    olafseifert

I often use Time Machine side by side with Retrospect or Carbon Copy Cloner. Time Machine saved me a lot of work several times, when a OS X server crashed and had to be recovered. This is because Time Machine recognises an installed Server.app and runs several preflight scripts for backing up Open Directory etc.. When recovered, these special dump files are restored and the services are running again. This is not always the case with other backup solutions with the ability to save files in use. Sorry, this ist off topic...

I wonder, if you can confirm Time Machine does backups on your three Macs with Sierra installed? Which version of Sierra are you using? For me Time Machine starts working again only when I log in. It finishes the backup job even when I log out again, but doesn't start a new job until next login.

This is with upgraded machines or freshly installed machines...

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                    • 7. Re: Sierra: No Time Machine backups without login session?
                      RickWhitelaw

Sierra on two machines. El Capitan on the third. TM works flawlessly on all 3.