3 Replies Latest reply on Jul 21, 2017 5:14 AM by jbrown

Graph problems

carlsson

I have worked with Filemaker a long time, but I still have problems with graphs. Maybe I'm overthinking it. The thing is that I never get the results I want. I have read FM's instructions, and I have searched the web for information, but I still don't get it.

Could someone please point me the right direction I would be very happy!

Example:

Two tables: Client and Order

Mission: Create a graph that shows how many orders that have been sold from period A to B.

This sounds really easy right? But I just can't get it to work.

I do get a graph, but it's not what I want. Attached is a screen capture of the Chart Setup (in FM14, I can't use FM16, it crashes in the Chart Setup window).

Some questions:

1. The X axis is a blur of dates, I'd rather see months. Is it possible to do that directly in the Chart Setup, or do I have to do separate fields for this?

2. Same for Quantity (Y Axis), I'd like to see it per month as well.

3. I am creating the graph in the Client view, because I want to see a small graph when I open the Client card. Thus, I think that the Data Source > Chart Data must be set to Related Records. Correct?

Any suggestions?

• 1. Re: Graph problems
          jbrown

Hi there.

I worked in the graph-setup to remind myself what to do for this situation. Here are steps I took:

To set up, I have a Products table that is related, by product, to the sales table.

1. I created a "Month" field that grabs the month from the date field.

2. I created a "SummaryUnitsSold" field which is a summary field that totals the # of units sold.

3. I created a "MonthNo" field that gets the number of the month from the Month field (useful for sorting as on the calendar)

IN the graph, I used the "Month" field for my x-Axis and the summary field for my y-axis.

I then went to the data source tab of the chart setup and did these things:

1. Made the graph show related records from my related sales table.

2. sorted the records by MonthNo and then Month (Just like I'd do on a subsummary form)

3. Displayed on the chart the Summarized group of data rather than the individual records.

Key concepts here:

1. A chart can be a visual subsummary report–what you can do there, you can do here. You can show just the total sales per month on a sub-summary report by removing the body as well.

2. Charts can display summary field data, so leverage those to total up a field, breaking at a specific field (month, in my case).'

This seems a lot of setup, but it actually not too bad. I've worked with web viewer charts (I prefer those) and the set up can be just as complicated.

I've attached a web-viewer based one as well. If you examine the data fields you'll see how this is created.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Graph problems
            carlsson

Thanks Jeremy, you are right on target!

Historically I have used calulcation fields as well. I was just hoping there was en easier way, one could think that this is a very common task so the Graph Setup should include those things.

Thanks for the answer and the examples! Highly appreciated!

• 3. Re: Graph problems
              jbrown

Glad the examples were useful. Do explore the webviewer based ones. So much more interactivity. I'm working on a dashboard completely made in the web viewer with the data from FileMaker.

I get what you're saying about an easier way, that is something within the setup. However, I imagine FMI looked at what they already had (calc fields, submmary fields) and decided to leverage those in the graph –the are just fields after all– rather than doing something special for the graph, some special area where you could choose an operation and choose a field and say "Sum all the data in this field". Ultimately the graph is just return-delimited list of records or rows that are thrown in a grid space.