6 Replies Latest reply on Jul 23, 2017 5:11 PM by philmodjunk

Images in container rather than

hofflags

Apologies, but I'm new both to Filemaker 16 Pro and to Apple so this question may be seem rather naive. Ive created a number of records in which I want to show images. I'm trying to import images into a container field on a Mac Pro.

The images do not open in the container however but in a separate editable window (Preview?). I just want the static image to appear within the container window.

Can anyone suggest how I get a static image (usually JPEG but sometime Tiff) to open within the designated container window? Thanks, Allan

• 1. Re: Images in container rather than
          philmodjunk

Insert picture should enable you to insert an image file that you can then see in the container. Just right click the field and select that option.

• 2. Re: Images in container rather than
            hofflags

Thanks, I was not sufficiently explicit with my original question. I have tried your suggestion and it works perfectly satisfactorily - but I have several thousand images to add to the database which are stored externally so that the database does not become  too big and cumbersome. To minimise the overall database size, I am inserting a file, not the picture, and storing only the reference to the file in the container. It is when I double click on this that it opens in a separate window and not in the container.

• 3. Re: Images in container rather than

can you call the reference from the container file  

GetValue(CONTAINER, 2)    and use it in a script to open  URL/webview within a popover upon the click?

1 of 1 people found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Images in container rather than
                philmodjunk

Sorry, but an image is a file. Insert Picture can be used to insert either the file or a reference to that file and it will then display in the container.

You can also use import records with the folder option to insert references for every image file in a folder into a container field, creating or updating multiple records in a table by doing so.

The "picture" option simply causes FileMaker to use the inserted file or file reference to display the file's image in the container field.

• 5. Re: Images in container rather than

lol well thats disappointing.... was hoping that webviewer would interpret the path as a local URL.   worth a thought

• 6. Re: Images in container rather than
                    philmodjunk

I didn't say that it couldn't. Web viewers can also display images if you get the syntax of the URL correct. Either way, you need the file path. The only practical difference is whether you store those paths in text or container fields.

In fact, the FileMaker road map shows that "by reference" container fields will be deprecated so maybe a web viewer is the better option.

PS: I have posted a product idea on this topic as deprecating this feature removes a very useful bit of functionality that has nothing to do with this discussion. I think that they need to either keep this feature or provide a new tool that takes its place for the purpose I outlined in the product idea.