1 Reply Latest reply on Jul 24, 2017 11:21 AM by fmnotsopro

FileMaker crashes when importing no records from excel to SQL table

fmnotsopro

Product and version FileMaker Pro Advanced 15.0.2.220

OS and version windows 10

Description

My 3rd party software produces an excel file that I use to import. Sometimes this file only contains the header record, and no data records. That part is out of my control. When the file only contains the header record and no data records, Filemaker crashes during the import. I am trying to import via a script into a SQL Server table. If there are one or more data records, the import works fine. The SQL table is a simple table with no triggers, and I removed the auto increment to no avail.

How to replicate: Import into SQL Server table no data records, just header record.

Workaround (if any) None found.

• 1. Re: FileMaker crashes when importing no records from excel to SQL table
          fmnotsopro

Update: I tried a simple File -> Import Records -> File... and it crashed when trying to open the excel file. So it has nothing to do with the SQL Server table.

I then opened the file in excel, and saved as itself. I then retried File -> Import Records -> File... and it did not crash.

I think I will write a powershell script that saves the excel file as itself prior to running the import. I'm still curious as to why FileMaker would crash though.