AnsweredAssumed Answered

Do I need a Portal (when using custom value Value List)?

Question asked by ernieder on Jul 24, 2017
Latest reply on Jul 24, 2017 by ernieder

Hi,

I am struggling with how to approach a particular aspect of my database.  I've been watching Lynda.com and it's been helpful but I'm still having trouble with this aspect.  Thank you for bearing with me while I try to explain.

In the screen shot below, you can see that I have put a portal into tab 1 (Treatment Steps).  I have put the foreign key of JobID layout (_fkJobID) in position 2 (below "Treatment") and linked it to the parent key in JobID in the Relationships area.  I have clicked on the = sign in the Relationships area and selected "Allow creation of records in this table via this relationship."  Finally, in the Inspector, I have chosen "drop down list" and inserted a Value List with custom values.

When I try to use this portal, my selections from the drop down list change to other selections when I tab to another field, and the selections do not committ.

It occurred to me that perhaps a portal isn't the right thing to be using because I'm not actually referencing any data from other fields in _fkJobID, I'm simply setting it to be a Value List with custom values that are not attached to any particular table.  At the same time, I want the functionality of the portal with its rows and ability to add extra rows as needed.  I'd also like to be able to search by "Treatment" in the future (which is why I thought I needed a portal to begin with)

I hope this makes some sense.  Thank you for any suggestions!

Emily

Screen Shot 2017-07-24 at 7.02.57 PM.png

Outcomes