AnsweredAssumed Answered

Creating a second portal

Question asked by mquinn on Jul 24, 2017
Latest reply on Aug 20, 2017 by mquinn

I am very new to filemaker. Five months. I work for a university and I use the file to keep track of graduate students current and alum. I also use it to track faculty and how they relate to students. So on that subject, I have a students table and a faculty table. Each student has at least one advisor and sometimes a co-advisor. I created a join table and a portal linking faculty as advisors to their students and vice versa. advisor and coadvisor are delineated with a boolean field numeric = 1. It works like a charm. I can create reports.

Now, each student also has 1-3 faculty members as their committee (for exams and thesis progress). I need to create a 2nd portal from the same two tables for each students committee. Of note, a faculty member is not a committee member and an advisor.  Currently my committees are listed as repeat fields but reports are not possible.

I do not want to delineate the committee field on the advisor portal as I'd like to keep the advisor lists and committee lists separate on the faculty layout/table.

Screen Shot 2017-07-24 at 7.19.01 PM.png

Screen Shot 2017-07-24 at 7.19.30 PM.png

Outcomes