5 Replies Latest reply on Jul 24, 2017 9:38 PM by monkeybreadsoftware

phone goes to sleep during mass import

sivagurS

Hi all

I have an application in FM Go, where when the user opens the Filemaker DB, I run a script that does mass import,

over 800,000 records from the Server  to the local file in different tables.

This takes ages in FM Go, and also the phone goes to sleep, with the new iphones we cannot turn the Auto-lock feature off and the maximum time for Auto-lock is only 5 minutes.

I would prefer to keep the phone screen active through the complete import process, something similar to playing a video and keep it active until the import finishes, so the user can start the import and walk away and come back after hours to find the data completely imported.

This mass data import happens only once. We do this for initial DB Deployment.

We are importing data from ESS tables from the server file to Local tables. For business needs we need to keep the File running locally on the iphone.

Any advice

Thanks

Seetha

• 1. Re: phone goes to sleep during mass import
          rgordon

This doesn't specifically answer your question but since you only do this once can you preload the data file before installing the file on the iPad.  I would think this would be much faster.  Another option is to download a file containing the import data and then do the import locally on the iPad.  Why can't you change the auto lock to never?

• 2. Re: phone goes to sleep during mass import
            CarlSchwarz

rgordon wrote:

This doesn't specifically answer your question but since you only do this once can you preload the data file before installing the file on the iPad. I would think this would be much faster. Another option is to download a file containing the import data and then do the import locally on the iPad. Why can't you change the auto lock to never?

Deployment could involve giving the user a web link that downloads a pre-populated database into their FileMaker GO.

• 3. Re: phone goes to sleep during mass import
              sivagurS

Thanks CarlSchwartz

We are planning to create a shared folder with read permisons for all users and put the prepopulated database in there.

Give them the link to this address and then make it available on FM Go.

Not sure if it'll replace a file of the same name that already exists in FM Go.

In newer versions of iOS(10.1.1) the AutoLock only has options upto 5 minutes and option to choose Never is not available any more. for obvious security reasons I guess

• 4. Re: phone goes to sleep during mass import
                rgordon

"Not sure if it'll replace a file of the same name that already exists in FM Go."

You will be prompted to replace the file or create a new file with a new name. The new name will have a number appended to the name.  BTW, if the file that is being replaced is open at the time of download, it will not be replaced.

I'm running 10.3 on a 6s and I have a Never option.

• 5. Re: phone goes to sleep during mass import
                  monkeybreadsoftware

If you would use MBS FileMaker Plugin in a FileMaker iOS SDK app, you could call ProcessActivity.beginActivity function to prevent the device to go to sleep.

1 of 1 people found this helpful