1 Reply Latest reply on Jul 25, 2017 6:49 AM by Menno

    iOS device Importing from FM Server causes a crash

    shrubr2

      I have a app that runs on iOS devices that users should update every morning.  The update works fine and downloads from the server the various files.  Some of the files are ODBC related (might be important).  The problem arises when the imports happen when other desktop users start using some of the same db's being imported.  I can't say if 2 iOS devices importing at the same time causes a problem but the DT do. The DT users are not importing anything but are basically doing searches on some of the same db's.  The device(s) is running the update script and has access to WiFi the entire time.     The problem cause a lot of grief because everybody has to get off and the Server has to be re-started.  The last time I couldn't access the Admin Console and other times when this happens ghost users become a problem.  Looking at log files after a re-start shows the files were not closed properly.

       

      We are using FileMaker Go 16.0.2 and FileMaker server 15.? (soon to be 16) on a windows  and all desktop 16.0.2.205.

       

      I tried getting the largest download (21,500 records) on an isolated file not used by the DT users but that didn't help.

      What should I be looking at to solve this problem?

        • 1. Re: iOS device Importing from FM Server causes a crash
          Menno

          Are your iOS-devices making changes to records that are used by desktop-clients?

           

          If that is the case, you may want to rethink how records are being updated. If you change a lot of records that are used on the desktops as well, the server can "hang up" or "slow down a lot" and thus clients wil also slow down. Sometimes fmserver needs to be restarted, because of this.

           

          Maybe you can run a schedule that updates records for you in stead of having the iOS-devices do the updates.

           

          My experience with this same issue is that for 10 field-engineers the customer used a list of locations that should be shown on a (google-)map in the webviewer. In order to generate the pins on the map, the locations had to be numbered. They solved it by replacing data in just one field in as little as 25 records (in a full set of 2500) and that actually caused a lot of hangups etc. They were connected by WiFi and via Cellular/VPN

           

          I changed this field with locations for a field with an unstored calculation, et voilá, no more hangups.