3 Replies Latest reply on Jul 27, 2017 6:55 PM by mikebeargie

Data URL for Displaying Videos from a Container in a Web Viewer

jonro

Does anyone know how to construct a Data URL for a video stored in a FM container? I’m having trouble displaying the video in a Web Direct container. It works for me in my browser, but users are having issues. My thought was that I might get better results if I could display it in a Web Viewer under Web Direct.

Jon

• 1. Re: Data URL for Displaying Videos from a Container in a Web Viewer
          mikebeargie

Container contents are actually better managed by the native filemaker functions in this place.

I'd recommend reading over FileMaker's WebDirect guide:

FileMaker 16 WebDirect Guide

Step 6 in the guide covers this key video point:

-It's recommended to use .mp4 videos

And also you need to make sure you are using a compatible browser:

WindowsmacOSiOSAndroid
          EdgeSafariSafariChrome
          Internet ExplorerChrome
          Chrome

Rather than immediately jumping to conclusions and trying to build a webviewer alternative, you should look into WHY your users are having issues and try to remedy those first.

You haven't provided enough info here though for that.

1) What browser and OS combination are the trouble users having compared to you.

2) Are they connecting to the server a different way than you are (LAN vs. WAN?)

3) How are you hosting WebDirect, is it powerful enough and have a reliable WAN connection?

4) What is the video file. .mp4? How big is it?

FileMaker has invested a lot in auto-streaming container contents so they work across the platform. Maybe you can improve on that first?

• 2. Re: Data URL for Displaying Videos from a Container in a Web Viewer
            jonro

I appreciate your response, but it doesn't answer my question, which is how would one create a Data URL for a Web Viewer to display a video stored in a FM container? If that solves the issue for me, I won't need to attempt to debug what plug-in settings and extensions might be interfering with Web Direct's containers. All users (and I) are connecting to WD via WAN and there haven't been more than two simultaneous users, so the server hardware isn't the issue. The .mp4 video file is about 150MB.

• 3. Re: Data URL for Displaying Videos from a Container in a Web Viewer
              mikebeargie

It's probably not as simple as just using a URL. FileMaker manages container contents for you, including streaming/compression, encrypt/decrypt, and keeping tabs on reference paths.

Container data can be stored internally or externally, open or secured. What are your settings?

You will likely not be able to access container data in the context you need to load it into a webviewer.

EG in a standard HTML embed, you have something like this code:

<video width="320" height="240" controls autoplay>

<source src="http://www.mysite.com/files/movie.mp4" type="video/mp4">

Your browser does not support the video tag.

</video>

However, what you are trying to do is something more like this:

<video width="320" height="240" controls autoplay>

<source src="file://C:/Program Files/FileMaker/FileMaker Server/Data/Databases/MyDatabase/RCDataFMS/VideosTable/movie.mp4" type="video/mp4">

Your browser does not support the video tag.

</video>

And that won't work because the user over WAN in the browser does NOT have access to the file:// path on your server. It would be looking for file:// on the user's computer.

In order to load the file into a webviewer to be used over WAN, you would most likely have to move the file OUT of FileMaker completely to a web accessible location that can be accessed via an http/https referring link. Then the HTML5 embed code above could be used to load that video. But since FileMaker's container store is local to the filemaker server, and NOT accessible via WAN without going through filemaker's native container features, It is difficult if not impossible to do what you are asking.

That is why I suggested the much easier path of just diagnosing why your container fields are having issues. But if you don't provide more information as I previously requested, we won't be able to help you do that; and are only taking you at your word that everything is properly setup but for some reason not working.

Perhaps a button tied to Export Field Contents may work instead as a third alternative.