1 2 Previous Next 18 Replies Latest reply on Jul 27, 2017 7:29 PM by philmodjunk

Portal not working correctly

keiferc55

I have an older version of Filemaker Pro Advanced - I think Pro 5.  I'm trying to track meetings - there are various groups, each group meets weekly, each meeting has various members attending and also various topics with followup needed.  Tables are within the same database:

GROUP MASTER table has the general information about the group (meeting days and times, title,etc) - there is one record for every different group (book discussion, volunteer for event, etc).  They meet weekly or monthly, etc.

GROUP DETAIL table has one record for every time they meet in each group (multiple records for each GROUP MASTER - one for each week).  They are related by group_if field.

GROUP MEMBERS table has multiple records for each GROUP MASTER record - each person who signs up for the group with their contact information.   It is related to GROUP MASTER by the group_if field.),

ATTENDED table has multiple records for each GROUP DETAIL record - general information about each time the group meets (the agenda, feedback, etc).  This table is related to GROUP DETAIL by the group_id and date fields. 

MINUTES table that has multiple records for each GROUP DETAIL record (each topic discussed and followup for each week).  This table is related to the GROUP DETAIL table by the group_id and date fields.  I had to create a GROUP DETAILS 2 table for this relationship because it creates a loop because of using the same fields for 3 files. 

Anyway, I am trying to have one layout to enter the information for the DETAIL table, the ATTENDED table, and the MINUTES table.  I have the general DETAIL info at the top, then a portal for all the people who attended that meeting - with add record capability, then another portal (related to the dummy file) to add or display each topic covered.  That way I can enter everything about each meeting in one layout.  

I already had some records entered from individual layouts.   The ATTENDED portal seems to be working ok but the MINUTES is not.  The first 2 records show everything ok, but after those records nothing displays in that portal - none of the MINUTES are displaying for the rest of the records - they are there in a different layout that displays only those records and the related field are all ok.  Also you can't add any records to this portal - you can't click on any of the fields in the portal (except the 1st two records that display the records,  but you still can't add any).  I have add record capability checked for the MINUTES table in the relationship.  So it works but it doesn't.   I don't know what happened, I tried creating new portals and redid relationships but nothing changes.   I don't knits what to do.

• 1. Re: Portal not working correctly
          bigtom

I would highly advise FM16.

• 2. Re: Portal not working correctly
            keiferc55

Lol.  Yes would love to.   I have no income - I'm stuck with what I have.  But thanks anyway.

• 3. Re: Portal not working correctly
              philmodjunk

Tables are within the same database:

Not if it's FileMaker 5. That version could only do one table to a file. You'd need FileMaker 7 or newer to have more than one table to a file.

I agree that upgrading would be a good idea, but that doesn't mean that we can't help you solve the immediate problem so that you can function while working on an upgrade to the latest version. Launch FileMaker, pull down the help menu and select the "about FileMaker" option. Tell us what version you see displayed. From there, you'll also need to explain things in a bit more detail. "dummy file" for example is not at all self explanatory as to what you mean by that.

• 4. Re: Portal not working correctly
                BruceRobertson

It would be helpful to first establish for sure what version you have.

How many files are in this system?

Your mention of multiple tables suggests it may NOT be FileMaker 5.

• 5. Re: Portal not working correctly
                  keiferc55

It's Filemaker Pro 8 Advanced

I don't know how to refer to things.   I've always ended up just working around what I wanted to do with simple databases because I always ran into problems whenever I tried to get more complicated. 

By dummy file I meant the file that gets created when you try to have 2 relationships from one table that both use the same key fields.  It creates a duplicate of the table to relate to the second relationship.

I can try to send a picture if I can

• 6. Re: Portal not working correctly
                    philmodjunk

A screen shot of the relationships graph would be very helpful. We call the "boxes" that make up the graph table occurrences.

You might find this tutorial on the subject helpful:

Tutorial: What are Table Occurrences?

• 8. Re: Portal not working correctly
                      keiferc55

The table occurrence on the right is "Group Meetings 2", a copy of "Group Meetings" - it wouldn't let me join Group Meetings with Group Meeting Minutes because there already was a relationship from Group Meetings with the same key fields.

• 10. Re: Portal not working correctly
                        keiferc55

You can see that Attended has blocks for the first and last names, and you can click in them to add.  But the Meeting Topic and Follow-Up don't have those blocks to type in - you can't click on the fields.  But the 1st two of my records shows the topics and follow-up that had been entered, the rest of my records don't, and there's still no way to add a record, even with those 1st two.

• 11. Re: Portal not working correctly
                          keiferc55

Each Meeting will have several Attendees and several Minutes Topics.  I was trying to relate both the Attendees and the Minutes to the Group Meetings, but had to create that duplicate Meeting occurrence.

• 12. Re: Portal not working correctly
                            philmodjunk

Anyway, I am trying to have one layout to enter the information for the DETAIL table, the ATTENDED table, and the MINUTES table.

By "group detail", you appear to mean "Group Meetings".

Your Group minutes do not appear to be properly linked in here. What does one record in "minutes" represent? The minutes for one meeting or one item from minutes for a given meeting? In other words, for a single meeting, do you have just one record in Minutes or multiple records in minutes for one meeting? What seems incorrect is that you appear to be linking individual records to a specific attendance record and that makes no sense to me (but there might be a reason for that so let me know.) Makes more sense to me to link minutes to meetings.

With minutes linked to meetings instead of group attendance, I'd set up a layout based on group meetings with fields from Group Master and portals to minutes and attendance.

• 13. Re: Portal not working correctly
                              keiferc55

You are correct that the minutes represent one item from the minutes for a given meeting (there will be multiple items for a given meeting).  What I thought I was doing:  I first linked the attendance to meetings, then I wanted to also link minutes to meetings - in other words, so that meetings would be linked to attendance, and also to minutes.  So I linked attendance to meetings, then tried to link minutes to meetings, but it wouldn't let me because there already was a relationship from meetings using the same key fields (group_id and date) .  So it made me create a duplicate of meetings so that I could use the same key fields to link from meetings to another occurrence (minutes).

I don't know why I have attended and minutes linked - it might have been a relationship from the old way I had been doing it. THANK YOU for spotting that.   I took that link out, and it fixed the problem of not having a box to type into - now they have boxes and I can click on them to add records, but it is still just displaying in the portal for only my first two records - after that they are all blank.  It is probably something stupid that I'm missing.  Record 1 displays all 5 related minute records in the portal, record 2 displays all 3 related minute records, but then record 4 and 5 don't display any.  They show up in a different layout, and when I do a search on the key fields they all come up on a different layout - just not in this portal.

• 14. Re: Portal not working correctly
                                philmodjunk

And on what table occurrence is the layout based?

I specified a relationship change and a layout based on the group meetings table occurrence.

Did you do that? The portals would be portals to GroupAttended and Group Meetings Minutes.

The altered relationship would be:

Group Meetings::group_id = Group Meetings Minutes::Group_id AND

Group Meetings::date = Group Meetings Minutes::date

This could be simplified further to:

Group Meetings::MeetingID = Group Meeting Minutes::MeetingID

And meeting ID could also be used for Group Attendance as well. But this would also require updating the data in existing records to use the new Meeting ID--which would be an auto-entered serial number or UUID in the Group Meetings table.

1 2 Previous Next