8 Replies Latest reply on Jul 28, 2017 4:22 PM by simoncpage

Export a table with containers with server schedule script

simoncpage

Since FM16 Server doesn't support exporting records in the fmp12 format is there a way to export a table which has container fields to a file format via the a server scheduled script? The table is part of a much larger database and I don't really want to separate this table as a separate file.

Any suggestions welcome.

Thanks

• 1. Re: Export a table with containers with server schedule script
          simoncpage

So one way around this which I have got to work is to base64 encode the attachments and then use export as .csv from the server. This works a treat albeit I will need to create a files that can then recreate a fmp12 files and decode the files but this is pretty simple and I think as far as I can tell the only plugin free option for doing this.

• 2. Re: Export a table with containers with server schedule script
            Jaymo

Can I ask why you want to do this? There might be another way to get the results you want.

• 3. Re: Export a table with containers with server schedule script
              simoncpage

Business continuity if for any reason the FileMaker database is not accessible etc. So I have a table in a larger file that has a number of records that include passwords, policies files, agreement documents etc and what I have setup is a system that drops/overwrites an encrypted csv file in a Dropbox folder with a password emailed to the appropriate people on a weekly basis (Server scheduled script).

To access the file you need to run a FileMaker standalone file which you import the encrypted data file along with the relevant password - this then decrypts and populates that file with the relevant data and in my case decodes the Base64 attachments to container fields. I've only spend a couple of hours setting this up and it works really well its just a shame I have to Base64 encode as I am concerned how well this solution will work with larger attachments (currently 2mb files seem to be okay but if I have a 50mb file I'm not so sure?).

Am interested if there are other options here - ideally plugin free.

• 4. Re: Export a table with containers with server schedule script
                Jaymo

Could you do the export from a guest? You could setup a dummy machine to perform this task automatically with 3rd party software.

• 5. Re: Export a table with containers with server schedule script
                  simoncpage

Nope, always try to avoid dummy machines server sided schedules is mandatory for this. I'd be interested in a third party app that could run from the server to export and encrypt a FileMaker fmp12 file.

• 6. Re: Export a table with containers with server schedule script
                    Jaymo

Seems like you will need to pause the database in the middle of the night using third party automation, open the file in FIleMaker Pro, export the table and then open in server again. However, I'm sure there is somewhere here with more Server experience than me who can provide a better response like wimdecorte

• 7. Re: Export a table with containers with server schedule script
                      wimdecorte

Business Continuity can easier be served by having backups pushed off the server to locations that are considered safe for DR purposes.  Then you have the whole solution complete, and the workflow intact.

Having said that; I would probably try to do the container extract away from the FMS machine; probably through the XML, PHP or the new Data API.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                      • 8. Re: Export a table with containers with server schedule script
                        simoncpage

I do regular backups of the full solutions onsite and off but this is just to capture a few of the things like for instance instructions for IT support for backups locations and passwords etc to setup the FileMaker database server if something goes wrong or access to some other key platforms if the FileMaker database isn't accessible for some reason. Recently I had an issue with getting the FileMaker 16 upgrade working which was due to an issue with the SSL and intermediate cert and so caused some minor downtime and so these details weren't accessible. I am kind of looking for a way for a few people to have access to these details without having to grapple with accessing large backups offsite.

Would you see any issue with base64 with larger files apart from making the export larger?

I havent looked at the Data API but I did not want to extract the container files separately outside of the rest of the database,

Thanks