1 2 3 Previous Next 117 Replies Latest reply on Aug 19, 2017 7:06 AM by DLarsen

All Scripts DELETED

BrynBehrenshausen

So Thursday morning while at DevCon, I got a wake up call from my users on the east coast that no one could get into our database, that they were getting a message about script missing when they opened the file and then couldn't go anywhere. I opened it up and sure enough, all of the scripts in the file were gone, folders, separators, everything. I have no idea how this happened. I looked through the server logs and there are no warnings or errors that would indicate a problem occurred, no users accessing the file who shouldn't be. I'm one of 2 people with Admin access to the file, the other person was also at DevCon.

I restored the file from an hourly backup, but then later that day a record in one of the tables got corrupted.

I spent this afternoon/evening running different recoveries on copies of the file, all come back with no problems found, and it passes consistency checks. When I did a recovery on the file from Thursday (which I moved off that morning to an external drive to work with later), all the scripts came back (or at least I think all, they were completely out of order and most were not in the folder they belonged in). When I did recovery on the file with the 1 corrupted record, no errors, but the record was removed.

I decided to build a new server this afternoon right away, and migrated my solutions to it, to rule out possible hardware/OS problems.

Original Server: 2013 Mac Pro, macOS 10.12.6, FileMaker Server 16.0.1, files stored on local drive, backups to external drives.

Replacement Server: 2010 Mac Pro, macOS 10.12.6, FileMaker Server 16.0.2, files stored on boot drive, backups now to internal drives.

Has anyone else ever experience 1 or both of these types of corruption?

If I have any further problems, I'm going to create a clone of my solution and export/import the records into it, but that'll take a considerable amount of time with the amount of tables I have.

• 1. Re: All Scripts DELETED
          Johan Hedman

I have had equal problem once, but that was way back in earlier versions of FileMaker. My problem then was that the Script Index had been corrupt and I did not matter for me going back to older versions/backups of my solution. I had to send my file to FMI and pay for them to recover my solution using there "magic tools" that noone else then they have.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: All Scripts DELETED
            gdurniak

Corruption is fickle, so anything is possible

Although Recover reports "no problems", you still need to check the Recover Log, to see what was done, e.g. look for items "changed"

I have collected info here:  http://www.fileshoppe.com/recover.htm

Do a "Save As Compacted" ( it will re-index the file blocks )

Export / Import ( Merge format ) is also worth the effort, since it can "clean" your data

To repair Scripts ( re-catalog ) with "Advanced" Recover select "Copy file blocks as-is", then select "Rebuild Scripts, Layouts"

greg

> When I did a recovery on the file ... all the scripts came back (or at least I think all, they were completely out of order and most were not in the folder they belonged in). When I did recovery on the file with the 1 corrupted record, no errors, but the record was removed.

2 of 2 people found this helpful
            • 3. Re: All Scripts DELETED
              beverly

Might it be worth a check with:

(AKA FMDiff)

Beverly

Sent from miPhone

• 4. Re: All Scripts DELETED
                wimdecorte

Very often files get corrupted because of the deployment so I would suggest scrutinizing the whole deployment against the best practices; particularly with an eye on any process that would also touch the files (indexing, AV, external backups, file sharing,...)

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                • 5. Re: All Scripts DELETED
                  BrynBehrenshausen

Thanks Wim. Does Soliant have a best practice deployment guide? Indexing was definitely disabled, it's a Mac so I'm not running AV, no file sharing, but would be interesting for sure in more info about best practices for external backups. The server I've got going now is an older model Mac Pro so everything is being backed up to internal drives (if only Apple would give me a modern machine again that supports multiple internal drives).

• 6. Re: All Scripts DELETED
                    alquimby

You probably know this already, but only use FileMaker Server scheduled backups. All other backup software should not touch the folder holding your FileMaker data files.

• 7. Re: All Scripts DELETED
                      DLarsen

Every Script Gone.

This has happened to me twice now since the upgrade to version 16. Once about a month ago and again yesterday (Sunday) afternoon when there was maybe one or two users and no development going on.  Suddenly out-of-the-blue all of the scripts in a file are gone. Completely gone. Hundreds or hours of development effort gone in the blink-of-an-eye.

Fortunately we are doing hourly backups around-the-clock so the data loss is minimal but my confidence in Filemaker is shaken-to-the-core. The first time it happened we lost about 20 minutes of transactions but yesterday the outage went about 6 hours before I noticed there was a problem. Since it was a Sunday I expect there was little if any data lost.

Yesterday noticed the problem when a server-side scheduled report indicated that it didn't run because the script was missing. A month ago the scripts went AWOL during the business day and I knew about it right away because users were reporting that nothing worked. Nothing.

I have no idea what is causing this. We are not an inexperienced Filemaker customer. We have been running FM since the 1990s. The deployment is large and conventional. Everybody accesses FM Server 16 via the standard FM client. This is a 100% Windows deployment. The database files are not shared in any way other than the approved FM Open Hosts method.

I have checked with our IT department and I've been told that there is nothing happening to the server. The live files are not being backed-up nor is there anti-virus running against any of the FM folders or processes.

This has me deeply worried.

• 8. Re: All Scripts DELETED
                        FileKraft

would also suggest to migrate to Windows Server it is an industrial strength system. Mac Pro is something I would not rely on with mission critical data.

• 9. Re: All Scripts DELETED
                          FileKraft

Johan Hedman wrote:

I had to send my file to FMI and pay for them to recover my solution using there "magic tools" that noone else then they have.

maybe "no-one" else is here: Testing and Repairing Your Damaged FileMaker® Pro Files

• 10. Re: All Scripts DELETED
                            jormond

A question for you and for the OP.

Is the server taking snapshots of the server?

As for the 2013 Mac Pro, we at one point moved from a 2009 Mac Pro to the 2013 Mac Pro. Results were terrible. From what I've been told ( because I wasn't here when it happened ), the bottlenecks were network throughput, disk I/O, processor speed. Which was surprising overall, since the specs were technically, and substantially, better.

Anyway, I say that, because hiccups in network and disk I/O seem to cause problems with the index for both records and scripts. Mind you, this is very much based on a theory, not empirical evidence. At a previous employer, I had run into similar issues. After moving to a server-grade machine, with a server-grade OS ( Windows Server in this case ), the problem never surfaced again. Our LAN/WAN performance increased dramatically, even though the server was 1500 miles away.

• 11. Re: All Scripts DELETED
                              FileKraft

did you run on the same servers FMS15 before? what versions of FMS and FMP are running and what versions of Windows Server is serving?

• 12. Re: All Scripts DELETED
                                DLarsen

Joshua,

I've been told that no snapshots are happening. I can't confirm this myself but the IT manager says that the snapshot service has been disabled for the FM server.  We have also disabled anti-virus and the other usual suspects.

Filecraft, the server in Windows Server 2016 Standard. Not a mac anywhere in the house.

• 13. Re: All Scripts DELETED
                                  FileKraft

how about FMS15 - was this running previously on the same server?

• 14. Re: All Scripts DELETED
                                    DLarsen

Filekraft,

We went from FM13 to FM16 so we skipped past 14 & 15 but the new server is running on the latest OS and all clients are on FM 16.0.1 or 16.0.2.  The server itself is on 16.0.2.212

1 2 3 Previous Next