1 2 Previous Next 15 Replies Latest reply on Aug 1, 2017 7:38 AM by philmodjunk

Unique numbers

vic2046

How do I have unique numbers; 1000 and assign some; 10 to 50 of those numbers to individual's record?

• 1. Re: Unique numbers
          TomHays

The consecutive numbers 1 to 1000 are unique numbers.

Assign 1 through 50 to the first record (example assigning 50 numbers).

Assign 51 through 60 to the second record (example assigning 10 numbers).

Assign 61 through 80 to the third record (example assigning 20 numbers).

This might not be what you are looking for.

To get a more useful answer, we need more details on your use case.

-Tom

• 2. Re: Unique numbers
            ninja

Howdy vic2046,

Why do you want to do so?  What are you trying to accomplish?

What end result?

This will help folks to give clear and useful answers to your challenge.

• 3. Re: Unique numbers
              philmodjunk

Much like dealing from a deck of cards, it's possible to issue a random sequence of numbers while ensuring that the same number is not issued more than once.

Is that what you have in mind?

• 4. Re: Unique numbers
                vic2046

I could assign numbers, the way I did in Section B, but how could I relate the coupons that the clients use each time they come  to the Summary of Coupons, in Section C.  Is there another way to do that?

My layout to help you understand it better, has been placed on my website at http://www.fishaven.com/fmp.html

Here is also a dropbox link for a clone copy.:

Dropbox - 2017 Fmp 728 Clone.fmp12

• 5. Re: Unique numbers
                  vic2046

I could assign numbers, the way I did in Section B, but how could I relate the coupons that the clients use each time they come  to the Summary of Coupons, in Section C.  Is there another way to do that?

My layout to help you understand it better, has been placed on my website at http://www.fishaven.com/fmp.html

• 6. Re: Unique numbers
                    vic2046

• 7. Re: Unique numbers
                      vic2046

• 8. Re: Unique numbers
                        philmodjunk

This is a "party line" a response to one will be seen by all so you don't actually need to repeat yourself to each individual.

That other thread where you first started discussing this resulted in some questions by me to better understand what it is that you are trying to do which then stalled out.

There's a big difference between a layout and a table. You have to get the tables right before you can make them work right on a layout. Doesn't mean that you can't through together a table, mess with it on a layout and then go back and redesign your table(s), but the table design really does drive the final layout design.

From what I can tell, every "coupon" needs it's own record in an "inventory" table of coupons and every record in that table needs a unique ID that identifies the indivdual coupon. In FileMaker such unique ID's are either auto-entered serial numbers or UUIDs. Those unique ID's become what you use to link data about a given coupon--who it was sold to and when, whether it has been redeemed and when.

• 9. Re: Unique numbers
                          vic2046

How do I set up a unique number; 1 to 1000 for all the coupons (inventory)?

(Portions of these coupons will be linked individual client records)

• 10. Re: Unique numbers
                            Vaughan

Create a table with 1000 records, each numbered 1 to 1000.

Create a client id field to relate each record back to a client.

• 11. Re: Unique numbers
                              philmodjunk

I did mention auto-entered serial numbers. Such a field will automatically number each coupon record as it is created.

• 12. Re: Unique numbers
                                FileKraft

would not do it this way - this looks like a nice example for strictly applying a set of custom functions.

1. a list from 1..1000

2. a function to determine which numbers have already been assigned

3. a list of the free numbers not yet assigned

4. a function to get unique number(s) for assigning ..

something like that - also very easy to test ..

• 13. Re: Unique numbers
                                  Vaughan

And if you want to print a list of which numbers are assigned, and to whom?

• 14. Re: Unique numbers
                                    FileKraft

create a find and print the report - the numbers are assigned into some field somewhere ..

1 2 Previous Next