6 Replies Latest reply on Aug 3, 2017 8:13 AM by dburnham

Is there a limit to how long table field names should be?

emannuel_n

I have a table model for " initial interview questions" and inside the 10-page interview there are questions like "What are the predictors or antecedent events that trigger the problem behavior?". Right now I am using underscores to create a shortened version of the name in the table like "Predictors_of_problem_behavior" but this seems too long. Has anyone run into this problem? is there a better approach to saving interview type questions and answers. I don't want to get too cryptic with my naming convention because there are a lot of questions and answers I need to be able to easily find and reference in the interview and if the question is named " D3, problemB" it will become frustrating. Any thoughts? I am very new to file maker I would appreciate anyone help.

• 1. Re: Is there a limit to how long table field names should be?
          Vaughan

I uses a version of A-B and reserve underscores to delineate the table occurrence chain. Either way, keep them short. I'd opt for just"Predictors" unless there can be other predictor entities, in which case I'd use "ProblemPredictors" or "PredictorProblems".

It's easy and harmless to change TO and field names in FMP -- unless the mistake is made to hard code them into expressions (like the previous developer did with all ExecuteSQL in the database I now maintain).

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Is there a limit to how long table field names should be?
            BruceRobertson
            there are a lot of questions and answers I need to be able to easily find...

Do some searches here for tests, and surveys. You're going down a direction that cannot work.

FileMaker find operations and indexes don't work on the field names; they work on the field CONTENT.

So the full text you described above for question 1, or question D3B, can be entered into the QuestionText field.

And the interviewee's answers entered into related answer records, linked by test version and question number. 

If you go in the direction you're headed you'll never be able to find your questions or report on results.

3 of 3 people found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Is there a limit to how long table field names should be?
              coherentkris

Field name length is capped at 100 chars.

This leaves alot of room to introduce problems into the schema.

• 4. Re: Is there a limit to how long table field names should be?
                marthazink

I'm with Bruce. Create a table that has a question field and an answer field.

You can create a Master Question table that stores all of your questions. When you create a new record, you can take the records in the master table and create new records in the questions table that relates to your survey table. Then youll be able to run reports against a specific question and you'll be able to search much more easily.

• 5. Re: Is there a limit to how long table field names should be?
                  beverly

This is how I do this too, Martha. OP might search this forum for "survey" and "questionnaire". There are several rather recent threads on this topic. Some may even have sample files and/or screenshots to help.

Beverly

Sent from miPhone

• 6. Re: Is there a limit to how long table field names should be?
                    dburnham

I've done the same thing for a FileMaker driven web site that presents a quiz to people who complete an online webinar to earn CEU credits.

Also, I created a Jeopardy Game database that has 30 questions and answers for round 1 and 30 questions and answers for round 2.  6 categories in each round, 3 players. And one Final Jeopardy question/answer.    Or should I say:  answer & question.   ??

I've shared ideas about this with Steve Romig at FM for a few years.  He's worked on one of his own for training purposes.  It's a great tool for a meeting.   We used it in Dallas a few years ago for one of our FMPUG meetings. 

In the one I built in 2014, I was using popovers for the Q&A.  But I think the new Card windows would work better, especially with animation on iOS devices if the "host" was using an iPad instead of FMP. 

The part not yet built is the use of iPhones as devices that the players would use as their "buzzers".  The first person to tap the phone would lock the Q&A record and earn him/her the right to earn the points.

Anybody who wants to work on this with me … get in touch.