6 Replies Latest reply on Aug 6, 2017 1:35 PM by wimdecorte

How to publish database via web on FMS16

barabba

Hi, and thank you for support!
      I switched to FMS16 from 15.. and many bugs were solved. I' happy with FMS16 but I can't understand how to publish the database via WEB. Her is the situation:

1) Databases are ready and accessible by FMS to FM Pro over the internet
      2) By FM Pro I declared all databases in the security option that they should be availabe to all protocols, xml ,php, etc. I checked all. The server actually show all active, as in picture.
      3) All possibile options on server's admin consolle and in FM pro (about databases) is enabled, even if not useful, I tried everything myself to make it work.

fm33.jpg

If I open 127.0.0.1 or the IP address I see a blank page. If I open by FMDroid I can see the databases but inside they are blanks (even the FMServer_Sample, why?). In the manual/help there are thousands of words but not reliable examples and no pictures that explain how to create the web, I think I understoon I've to upload the files from FM Pro to server, actually my database is manually placed on server by copying files, now it says me that database already uploaded and it hasn't anything else to upload.

Questions are:
      1) Who is suppose to build up the web pages? FM Pro and transfer it somehow to the server, or the server itself? How can I produce physically the web files?
      2) How can I have it available also in xml so the FMDroid can work too?

Thank you really a lot for your help!!

• 1. Re: How to publish database via web on FMS16
          CICT

I think you're describing how to get WebDirect working. Looking at your settings, try entering https://localhost//fmi/webd, you will get security alerts but proceed beyond these and you should see whether your files are published within WebDirect (which is initially setup in FileMaker Pro File:Sharing:Configure for WebDirect menu.

You do need the files uploaded to FileMaker Server.

To work properly you will need 'localhost' replaced by the fully qualified domain name of the server and an appropriate SSL certificate from one of FileMaker's approved Certificate Authority Configuring security for FileMaker Server 15 and higher | FileMaker

WebDirect is already compatible with Android web browsers.

You may find your upload problem is down to folders for externally stored files in container fields still present, even if you've removed the FileMaker files (particularly if you're using separate folders for this).

Just a starter, there is plenty more to know, but do focus on the WebDirect documenation at FileMaker 16 WebDirect Guide

Regards

Andy

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: How to publish database via web on FMS16
            wimdecorte

barabba wrote:

2) How can I have it available also in xml so the FMDroid can work too?

The FM guide on "CWP with XML" has a bunch of good examples on how to do XML queries.

The basic one to test if your FMS is installed correctly goes something like this:

http://<your server>/fmi/xml/fmresultset.xml?-dbnames

This will give you a chunk of XML that lists all the files hosted on that server and that are available to access through the XML API.

2 of 2 people found this helpful
            • 3. Re: How to publish database via web on FMS16
              barabba

thank you a lot mates, you are really precious!
              1) Amazing but in all guide I didn't read about this <domain>/fmi/webd it was so easy to write. Anyway I tried and it works, but only for the first page. If I click on one database I see a page with error 503, the worker machine is not available; it happens even with the Sample. I remember I installed FMS as Filmaker server and not a working machine, did I installed wrongly? WHat is this working machine? Thanks

I'm not using SSL and it seems not a problem now..

s111.jpg

2) Any chance to see this on the root, without the "/fmi/webd" path?
              3) /fmi/xml/fmresultset.xml?-dbnames display an output so it seems working ok, anyway in FMDroid I see empty ad "available layouts", even with the Sample. What can I do to see something?

4) The database contain few pictures only, all these files are in the database folders and the FM Pro clients connecting to FMS see them perfectly. I have not idea how to import them on the web, I supposed it is automatically (why not) but it looks complicated.
              Who is generating the web files? Is it enough to put to copy the database folder from FM Pro to FM server? What should I do more?

Thank you for clear at least the main aspects, giving me an orientation,, you help me much more then guides I suppose.. anyway as soon I can I'll have a look!

• 4. Re: How to publish database via web on FMS16
                CICT

I think you've installed FileMaker Server as a multiple machine deployment. You may need to uninstall and select a single machine deployment and try again. Look at page 11 here: https://fmhelp.filemaker.com/docs/16/en/fms16_install.pdf

Regards

Andy

• 5. Re: How to publish database via web on FMS16
                  barabba

Again thanks for answer,

when I installed it it asked me (I can't remember exactly): 1) File maker server 2) Working machin

No questions about multiple machine deployment,
                  Kindly assure me that "working machine" is the right option. Yes I have only one server.
                  Thank you

• 6. Re: How to publish database via web on FMS16
                    wimdecorte

If you have just the one machine then always choose the first option.

Tge 2nd option is for installing the component in a 2-machine deployment.

Get Outlook for iOS<https://aka.ms/o0ukef>