8 Replies Latest reply on Aug 2, 2017 6:17 AM by jaythefirst

New user Registration of a model or crew.

jaythefirst

If I create a separate file on the server for registration (accessed via a web link button on a webpage to WebDirect)

I can then review and import that record to the main file.

At the point of that first registration I can ask them to use their email as a user name (password of their choice), then once I move them over to the main database require a password reset, but their user name, the email address, remains the same.

Just prior to import I can set their access / security level using their email / user name and adding them to a group.

Can anybody see a problem with this?

Does it make it too easy for a hacker, as everybody knows somebodies email address is their username, leaving only the password as unique.

• 1. Re: New user Registration of a model or crew.
          CICT

My first thought to your question was that you're going to need legacy licensing with concurrent connections for WebDirect, which cost 3 times the price of normal connections, unless you are purchasing a dedicated license for each registrant. Do please be aware of this.

It depends on how you construct the link between the main file and the registration file, but we take a similar approach when offering a front end to customers of our clients via WebDirect, keeping as much 'distance' between the public facing file and the private background file as possible. Our solutions tend to be the reverse of yours, with a user being setup with their email address as the user name and a temporary password and link to the the public file, not the other way around. However, if you are moving the registrant from the registration file to the main file and setting them up as a user within a group, I'm not sure I see the benefit of the registration file. We only allow access to the public facing file, never to the background private file(s).

Regards

Andy

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: New user Registration of a model or crew.
            jaythefirst

Thanks CICT Major stumbling block found.

I am at testing stages. Im hosting on AWS (Not Cloud) I have an FM developer licence.

I could build a tiny server just for registration purposes?

A dedicated license for each registrant, is not an economic viability.

The link between the 2 files will be human, we need to do several checks before a model or actor goes live, anyway.

An actor or model has 1 record, they can not modify. They have read only access.

A model agency once accepted in to the main file can create multiple records and do a little editing to just the records they create.

Any agent will need to buy their own basic copy of Filemaker.

• 3. Re: New user Registration of a model or crew.
              CICT

I have contacted our UK team this week to highlight a project that FileMaker Go and iPads would be perfect for, but the licensing model prevents, what could eventually be a FileMaker based vertical market product, from happening due to the cost of connections.

I'd encourage anyone here with a similar example to contact their FMI representatives to show how FileMaker could be losing out on expansion due to this.

I don't want to hijack your question, so am going to create a new posting regarding connection licenses.

Now you've explained in a little more detail, the rest of your plans sound very feasible, licensing permitting.

All the best

Andy

• 4. Re: New user Registration of a model or crew.
                jaythefirst

Thanks CICT Am i right in thinking that I would avoid the licensing problem by only using FM Go on iPad & iPhone. Completely different user experience due not to the program but screen real estate available. I have called my iPhone 5 screens a "Companion" to the solution. A good address book.

• 5. Re: New user Registration of a model or crew.
                  CICT

I'm afraid not, each FileMaker Go or WebDirect connection to a FileMaker Server requires a connection licence. You can purchase concurrent licensing, but these are 3 times as expensive as an equivalent dedicated license per user.

• 6. Re: New user Registration of a model or crew.
                    jaythefirst

But Filmaker advertise the Go app as free.

Do they mean free plus $900 for it to be fit for purpose?

• 7. Re: New user Registration of a model or crew.
                      CICT

Yes it is, if you only use it on an iPhone or iPad. However, if you want to connect to a FileMaker Server, there are connection license payments to be made. These are the same connection licenses also used by WebDirect.

Kind regards

Andy

• 8. Re: New user Registration of a model or crew.
                        jaythefirst

here is a very handy AWS Instance Calculator Tool for FileMaker Cloud over at RC Consulting.

Richard Carlton Consulting Inc. - Free Downloads