4 Replies Latest reply on Aug 3, 2017 9:22 AM by philmodjunk

FMP 16 "Phantom" Records

labooca

I have a button on one of my databases that is set to go to related record opening a new window using a layout from the related database.  Since we have upgraded to 16, when the button is used, the record that opens completely wipes out the data & shows only a blank record.  When i search for the record utilizing the Job ID field, the blank record opens, so it seems like the data is still there, but not viewable.  This is not happening every time the button is used.  Is anyone else experiencing this?

• 1. Re: FMP 16 "Phantom" Records
          philmodjunk

Flaky behavior like this is not unheard of for many users with different versions of FileMaker. Much of the time some kind of damage--which might not have been observable in an older version of FileMaker is the culprit.

First thing that you might try is to recover a copy of this file and see what is reported as well as checking the recovered copy to see if it works correctly even if no problem was reported as "fixed" by the recover.

If the recovered copy works but no problem is reported as fixed, you might recover your current copy again, but use advanced recover options to:

Copy File Blocks As Is

Rebuild Indexes Now

Sometimes, this issue occurs due to a damaged index and this advanced recover method produces a copy of your file that is identical to the original except that all the field indexes have been rebuilt.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: FMP 16 "Phantom" Records
            labooca

Thank you!!  I will give this a try.

• 3. Re: FMP 16 "Phantom" Records
              gdurniak

just curious,

if you open the file in the previous version,  does it work ?

what you describe is not typical

if re-indexing does not help,  then contact Tech Support

Note:  without using Recover,  you can just turn indexing off, then on,  for that one field  e.g. Job ID  ( much easier )

greg

> When i search for the record utilizing the Job ID field, the blank record opens, so it seems like the data is still there, but not viewable

• 4. Re: FMP 16 "Phantom" Records
                philmodjunk

Note:  without using Recover,  you can just turn indexing off, then on,  for that one field ( much easier )

Only if you are able to guess as to exactly which field to do this with. You might have hundreds of fields and more than one might have a messed up index. Using recover as I specified is quite easy rebuilds all the indexes in one go, but you do have to swap copies around and it can take a significant amount of time where you have to make your file either unavailable or read only while you do this so that your data stays "current" during the process.

So there are definite trade-offs to using recover to rebuild indexes, I just wouldn't agree that doing it one field at a time is really easier.