5 Replies Latest reply on Aug 11, 2017 7:59 PM by tcfitzgerald

How to Install FileMaker Server 16 Without an Internet Connection?

jdbranum

I would like to be able to directly install FileMaker Server 16 and FileMaker Pro 16 on servers and user computers used on the isolated networks at my employer.  Files downloaded from the internet, such as the FileMaker product installers, can be transferred to these systems by a special process.

FileMaker Server 16 installation instructions states that an internet connection is required for installation, apparently to fetch third-party components that are not bundled into the installer package.  FileMaker Pro 16 on Windows requires Microsoft .NET 4.6 and later to be installed, and I have successfully completed the installation without an internet connection by first installing Microsoft's off-line installer for .NET 4.6.2.  I am hoping that I can do something similar for FileMaker Server 16, but first need to know exactly what third-party components that FMS16 normally fetches from the internet, and then attempt to obtain off-line installers for each one of these and install them prior to commencing installation of FMS16.

Has anyone successfully performed such an installation and/or know what specific third-party components are needed, and whether there are off-line installers available for each one of these components?

Thanks in advance,

James Branum

Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory, California, USA

• 1. Re: How to Install FileMaker Server 16 Without an Internet Connection?
          wimdecorte

Do a search for ARR in this forum and in the FileMaker knowledge base. There are a few step-by-steps that people have collected and that FMI have documented.  Like this one:

Manually Installing Microsoft Application Request Routing (ARR) for use with FileMaker Server for Windows | FileMaker

2 of 2 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: How to Install FileMaker Server 16 Without an Internet Connection?
            TomHays

This page has instructions for how to perform an offline install FileMaker 14 Server for Windows.

I think there are clues in there on how to determine the prerequisites.

Of particular note is the section where it mentions modifying the Setup.ini file.

There is a section [ISSetupPrerequisites] in the Setup.ini file of FMS 16 that contains the following lines.

PreReq0=Microsoft Visual C++ 2015 Update 3 Redistributable Package (x64)....prq

PreReq1=Microsoft Visual C++ 2015 Update 3 Redistributable Package (x64).prq

PreReq2=Visual Studio C++ libraries and Windows Runtime.prq

PreReq3=Microsoft Application Request Routing 2.5 (Uninstall).prq

PreReq4=Microsoft Internet Information Services....prq

PreReq5=Microsoft Internet Information Services.prq

PreReq6=Root Certificates.prq

PreReq7=Java(TM) 8 Update 121 (x64).prq

PreReq8=Bonjour for Windows 3.0.0 (x64).prq

PreReq9=Bonjour för Windows 3.0.0 (x64).prq

PreReq10=Bonjour fur Windows 3.0.0 (x64).prq

PreReq11=Bonjour per Windows 3.0.0 (x64).prq

PreReq12=Bonjour pour Windows 3.0.0 (x64).prq

PreReq13=Microsoft Application Request Routing 3.0.prq

I was able to run the FMS 16 installer on a machine that isn't connected to the Internet and stop it just after it extracted the files.  Actually the installer stopped itself since that machine is incompatible with FMS 16.  The installer created a folder "FileMaker Server 16" in the same directory as the installer.  There I found "FileMaker Server 16\Files\Setup.ini"

I also found what appears to be 4 of the prerequisites inside "FileMaker Server 16\Files\ISSetuopPrerequisites".

-Tom

2 of 2 people found this helpful
            • 3. Re: How to Install FileMaker Server 16 Without an Internet Connection?
              user14047

You can now install with FileMaker Server 16 installer without Internet connection.

FileMaker® Server16 Installation and Configuration Guide (pdf) p.12

• Windows:
                If you do not have the Microsoft Visual C++ 2015 Redistributable Package (x64) or a minimum update of Java Runtime Environment version 8, the FileMaker Server installer installs them. If you do not have the Microsoft Application Request Routing (ARR) extension for IIS installed, the FileMaker Server installer installs it.
                If you do not have Bonjour for Windows installed, you are prompted to allow the FileMaker Server installer to install it. Follow the onscreen instructions.
              4 of 4 people found this helpful
              • 4. Re: How to Install FileMaker Server 16 Without an Internet Connection?
                jdbranum

Thanks to all for your information and suggestions.  The link referenced by wimdecorte states that FileMaker Server 16 now includes an offline, standalone installer for the primary (only?) third-party component rather than the version that requires an internet connection.  I am waiting for the IT staff to set up several Windows servers for me to test that I can first isolate from the internet (will be virtual machines, which is what is being used on the companies isolated networks).  This for sure will disclose any internet connection dependencies, and I will report back with results.  Meanwhile, thanks to your collective help, I have a much better understanding of what is going on and where to look for dependencies.

• 5. Re: How to Install FileMaker Server 16 Without an Internet Connection?
                  tcfitzgerald

You don't need an Internet connection to install 16.  The last "Internet connection" dependency, ARR, is now included with the install.

I've done two FileMaker Server 16 installs without an Internet connection and it worked just fine.

1 of 1 people found this helpful