BERGSTEN

Customize Portal Row for Contract Labor Layout?

Discussion created by BERGSTEN on Aug 3, 2017
Latest reply on Sep 20, 2017 by philmodjunk

Hello! Long time no post. I've gotten to know FMP 15 a bit better but have hit my first snag in a while.

Some context.

I am creating a payroll database, divided into two sections... Full time and contract labor. I have "FullTime" set up perfectly with portal rows: Each record represents one pay period- and each portal row within that record represents the details for one employee. I have created a relationship with "FullTime_Link" (where the fields from the portal row in FullTime come from)- which allows entry to each row to generate a record for that individual making it easy to search an employee's hour/vacation time history. In other words, I have a "group" pay period view in "FullTime" and an option to isolate individual pay period records via "FullTime_Link" (with summary fields = running totals of YTD earnings etc).

That's great.

But now- I have hit a wall.

I thought I could do the exact same set up for our contract labor, except there are some different circumstances that have changed the game completely.

As I said, each portal row generates a new record in its linked table... which is unfortunate because contract labor employees may require anywhere from 1 to 5 or 6 rows PER employee. I wanted to have "ContractLabor" and "ContractLabor_Link" - and have it function the exact same way except it doesn't look like I can.

IE: Joe worked 4 days with 4 different "day rates", at 4 different shows all within the same pay period. I need to be able to show all 4 dates, shows and rates while still allowing them to automatically appear in a linked table on ONE RECORD under his name. I can't simply create 4 portal rows of Joe, or else they become 4 different records...

What am I missing?

I should add thatwe vary our contract labor employees from week to week. That's why the portal row has it's appeal. I could have 5 one week, 16 the next... they don't necessary recur weekly either. I need something flexible, varying- but somewhat "auto" in how the data collects per employee... while being neat and easy to use. It will need to be translatable into a print view eventually as well...

Thanks in advance!

Outcomes