13 Replies Latest reply on Aug 4, 2017 9:10 AM by PointInSpace

I need help with AWS

chikazz@gmail.com

Hello. My office is upgrading from fm11 to fm16. We got filemaker 16 installed, but it needs a server connection to function. We didn't have a server before, so my boss has asked me to get that sorted. I tried installing the fm server software on one of our pcs in-house, but apparently the software doesn't work on them (They use windows 7). Sooo, it was suggested that I set up a server with AWS. I'm really trying to do that, but it's painfully clear that I have no idea what any of this stuff means. Manual launch vs service catalog? What exactly IS EC2? Will their software run on windows and will it be simple enough for me to manage? Are they actually hosting the server? How on earth do I figure out what our usage might be? There's no way to contact them directly.

There's only two of us (my boss and myself) year-round (Possibly four or five during fall), and I don't know the first thing about servers. I'm just an office manager. Someone please help!

• 1. Re: I need help with AWS
          jbrown

Hi there.

My colleague, logicurio wrote up a post about how to get started. This is a good guide: FileMaker Server on AWS Start Guide | Soliant Consulting

I used this guide to set up my own and is extremely complete. The post links to other posts that he wrote up. Check these out and this will be a great start.

I'd be happy to provide some guidance as well throughout your process, but it gets to be pretty straightforward.

Jeremy

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: I need help with AWS
            PointInSpace

You may want to alternately look at a professional FileMaker hosting service, such as ourselves.  We provide both shared hosting accounts and virtual dedicated servers, depending on your needs.  Our dedicated servers are fully managed, with full FileMaker Server installs, and with none of the hidden fees that AWS imposes.

Please contact me off-list at jmay(at)pointinspace.com for further details.  Thanks!

- John

1 of 1 people found this helpful
            • 3. Re: I need help with AWS
              wimdecorte

John May wrote:

none of the hidden fees that AWS imposes.

It's one thing to just keep plugging your products and services but it's another thing to sow mistrust against your competitors.  AWS has no hidden fees.  If anything, AWS is overly well documented to the point that it can be a somewhat overwhelming.  But nothing is hidden so don't imply that it is, to make your services look good.

This thread is to help navigate chikazz through that documentation and information, something that I invited him to do from another thread.  So kindly: be constructive.

It may well be that at the end of this, chikazz decides to go with a managed service provider, but it should be with clear information, not out of a sense of fear for 'hidden fees'.

• 4. Re: I need help with AWS
                Mike Duncan

In addition to the blog post Jeremy points to, I also presented a session at DevCon this year on the subject. Regardless if you go with FM Cloud or build it all yourself, you may find it useful to review the slides here: DEP002 - FileMaker and AWS: What You Need To Know - Mike Duncan

• 5. Re: I need help with AWS
                  PointInSpace

I am not sowing mistrust, but telling it like it is.  AWS nickel-and-dimes folks with backup charges, processor time, etc.  Maybe the charges aren't "hidden", but rather "buried".  We do not do that - simple.  We've had many clients who started on AWS that have expressed their relief to be away from that system.

The author of the post stated that they don't know anything about servers, and my response was absolutely constructive.  We offer *fully managed* virtual servers running FileMaker Server, which is exactly what the author needs - we do all the server work, included in the price.  FileMaker Cloud and AWS are not fully managed, and it greatly helps to have a hosting provider that has decades of experience with FileMaker Pro and Server.

- John

• 6. Re: I need help with AWS
                    philipHPG

I'm sure you'll get some good advice on AWS and server hosting options. However, I want to question the presumption that a Server connection is *required*. Most of us would probably highly recommend using FileMaker Server in most situations as there are some significant advantages to using a Server. However, you can still Network Sharing in FileMaker 16, which doesn't require a Server connection and, in some cases, may still be a viable option (especially when you mention that there are primarily just two of you using the database). When you say that the Server connection is *required* it makes me thinks that perhaps you are looking at FileMaker Licensing for Teams, which does require a Server connection (and FileMaker Pro for User Connections). However, there are alternate licensing options available that wouldn't require a Server.

Depending on the scope of your use of FileMaker, a Server is probably a worthwhile investment, but I just want to point out that it isn't the only option.

• 7. Re: I need help with AWS
                      wimdecorte

John May wrote:

I am not sowing mistrust, but telling it like it is. AWS nickel-and-dimes folks with backup charges, processor time, etc.

Another way to look at that is that AWS offers a lot of granularity of the different components and how much you will end up paying for them.  You get to decide how much need of what and what the corresponding cost will be.  Perhaps that is something that chikazz wants, perhaps not.

My point is that you express your opinion by using loaded words like "hidden", "burried", "nickle and dime".  Those words just convey a sentiment but not facts, and IMHO just doesn't help in outlining how to go about choosing things on AWS.

• 8. Re: I need help with AWS
                        flukey

The following DEVCON 2016 video gives you excellent information on using AWS for Filemaker.

FM DevCon 16 / Core: Deploying FileMaker Server with Amazon Web Services EC2 - YouTube

• 9. Re: I need help with AWS
                          PointInSpace

It's not my job to tell people how to "choose things" on AWS.

The original poster stated they don't know about servers.  AWS is very complicated to understand, including their billing - and that is a fact.  Additionally, they provide no support with FileMaker Server installation or configuration.

I was offering a route where we offer a much more simple and elegant experience, and provide all management of the server.  I'm not sure what you have against this solution, as it is far better than recommending AWS in this case considering the audience.

- John

• 10. Re: I need help with AWS
                            wimdecorte

John May wrote:

I'm not sure what you have against this solution.

I have nothing against the solution, but I'd want people to be able to make that decision based on what we can give them by shedding lights on the AWS lingo, choices, etc.

This:

John May wrote:

It's not my job to tell people how to "choose things" on AWS.

Is the main difference between our approaches.  You seem intent on only trying to sell your services.  Others are trying to help explain AWS and how you make choices.  Which may or may not lead them to choose AWS or your service or not.  Many others here also offer hosted & managed solutions but they don't default to saying or trying to push it.

The intent of this forum is to help people by giving them information.  You're explicitly stating that you don't want to do that in this case.

John May wrote:

it is far better than recommending AWS in this case considering the audience.

Says who?  For all we know, with a little information chikazz takes to it like a duck to water.  I'm not making any assumptions that he can't.

• 11. Re: I need help with AWS
                              PointInSpace

I only recommend our services when they make sense.  I am not intent on "only trying to sell our services".  My posts are meant to provide solutions, as was my original post to this thread.

I will not, however, spend my time trying to explain to folks how to make AWS work.  That is AWS's responsibility and, oh how about that, they aren't on any FileMaker forums anywhere.

Choose who you want, we've got plenty of business as it is.  You can use a company that's been providing FileMaker hosting for almost 20 years and is active in the community, or a provider that doesn't know square one about FileMaker and expects you to work it all out yourself.  And these are *facts*.

- John

• 12. Re: I need help with AWS
                                srzuch

John,

Point In Space advertised a dedicated server for FileMaker Server, starting at $79 per month (OS X Virtual Dedicated Cloud Servers with FileMaker Server - Point In Space ).  On another web-page, the $79 server is spec at 2 cores, 4 GB RAM, 40 GB Hard Disk (Dedicated Server Accounts - Point In Space) .

But then, FileMaker Server 16 MINIMUM requirements per FileMaker (System Requirements for FileMaker Server 16 | FileMaker) are 8 GB RAM and 80 GB Hard Disk.  To upgrade your advertised server to the minimum, would cost an additional $40 per month for the additional RAM, and $40 for the additional Hard Disk space.

The $79/month becomes $159/month to meet the "minimum" requirements.

My response above is in context of your previous posting:

"I am not sowing mistrust, but telling it like it is.  AWS nickel-and-dimes folks with backup charges, processor time, etc.  Maybe the charges aren't "hidden", but rather "buried".  We do not do that - simple.  We've had many clients who started on AWS that have expressed their relief to be away from that system."

Steve

• 13. Re: I need help with AWS
                                  PointInSpace

Despite FileMaker's recommendations, we have many customers running FileMaker Server 16 on our stock 2 core / 4GB RAM / 40GB HD configuration with no problems whatsoever.  We monitor all system usage and recommend system upgrades as necessary, but in most cases the stock configuration is all that is needed and there is no reason to pay for more.  We do not hide or bury additional add-on fees - they are stated clearly on our site as you found.

If you have any further questions regarding our services, please feel free to contact be off-list at jmay(at)pointinspace.com.

- John