4 Replies Latest reply on Aug 4, 2017 10:20 AM by schamblee

FileMaker 16 Crashing in Calculation Window

CICT

Has anyone else experienced FileMaker Pro Advanced v16 crashing in Windows when using the calculation window while it is attempting to guess the type ahead function, tables for fields?

We've 3 people here using v16 working on different projects on different servers (v15 and v16 servers) and a few times a day the type ahead appears to stall and then FileMaker quits and we have to relaunch and log in again. The network is sound and another developer working on the same server on the same network isn't affected, so we do not believe this is network related. FileMaker is at 16.0.2.205 and we do have some plug-ins, but can't test without these as our solutions depend on them. This doesn't happen when using FMPA v15.

If I were to guess, I would say the problem is related more to table and field identification, rather than functions, but I can't be sure. We use the separation model, but the crash I've just experienced was entering a field from a 'global field' table local to the file.

I must admit, although I like the type ahead, I do think it actually slows me down within calculations while I wait for it to catch up.

There was only a single error in the Windows Event Viewer for the last crash:

Faulting application name: FileMaker Pro Advanced.exe, version: 16.0.2.205, time stamp: 0x59372d1e

Faulting module name: KERNELBASE.dll, version: 6.3.9600.18666, time stamp: 0x58f33794

Exception code: 0xe0434352

Fault offset: 0x00000000000095fc

Faulting process id: 0x3248

Faulting application start time: 0x01d30c357aefe7e6

Faulting application path: C:\Program Files\FileMaker\FileMaker Pro 16 Advanced\FileMaker Pro Advanced.exe

Faulting module path: C:\Windows\system32\KERNELBASE.dll

Report Id: 8ccc62f9-78f1-11e7-8148-005056b9858b

Faulting package full name:

Faulting package-relative application ID:

Thanks

Andy

• 1. Re: FileMaker 16 Crashing in Calculation Window
          CICT

A follow up to the above, as I've just experienced another crash. The problem appears when I'm trying to work quickly, if I pause and ensure the type ahead catches up, then there isn't a problem. For instance, in this case, I was entering a string of 'IsEmpty () and IsEmpty ()' repeated; FMPA pauses during the entry of 'and', looks for all the various possibilities such as 'Array', 'ABS', 'Random', etc. until it realises I actually want 'and' then allows me to proceed. What I was doing was typing ' and ' then immediately pasting an IsEmpty () string that could be slightly tweaked, but FMPA couldn't keep up and subsequently crashed.

For now I feel I'm having to treat it like a fragile item and not try to work too quickly (great for productivity!).

Again, appreciate knowing whether this is just us, or whether others have similar problems. Crash report again below.

Andy

Faulting application name: FileMaker Pro Advanced.exe, version: 16.0.2.205, time stamp: 0x59372d1e

Faulting module name: KERNELBASE.dll, version: 6.3.9600.18666, time stamp: 0x58f33794

Exception code: 0xe0434352

Fault offset: 0x00000000000095fc

Faulting process id: 0x27b4

Faulting application start time: 0x01d30d000f07a8db

Faulting application path: C:\Program Files\FileMaker\FileMaker Pro 16 Advanced\FileMaker Pro Advanced.exe

Faulting module path: C:\Windows\system32\KERNELBASE.dll

Report Id: a42deada-78fb-11e7-8148-005056b9858b

Faulting package full name:

Faulting package-relative application ID:

• 2. Re: FileMaker 16 Crashing in Calculation Window
            imarc

I use FMPA 16 on Windows and while there are often delays waiting for auto-complete with complex graphs/lots of TOs, haven't been experiencing any crashes. (FMP 16 on Windows is actually the most stable Windows version in years.) Plug-ins and their external functions could cause a problem like that, but as you said it's more likely the pasting in additional text before auto-complete is done.

I do wish the calculation engine had exceptions to delay auto-complete for certain words like "and" and "or" until the trailing space is typed/not typed -- in any solution where there are "ord" (short for Order) TOs, there is a lot of waiting around for FM to figure out that's not what I'm looking for at the moment.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
            • 3. Re: FileMaker 16 Crashing in Calculation Window
              CICT

Thanks Marc, yes I agree.

There are some annoying/delaying nuances with the auto-complete that often don't make sense. We have an added problem with the plug-ins, we use the shortcuts extensively such as 'gtr' for 'Go to Record', etc. but as we depend on 360Works Scribe, using 'sv' for 'Set Variable' we get 'ScribeVersion', so are having to adjust our shortcuts say from 'sv' to 'var'. We did discuss this with 360Works' (excellent) support and apparently there is nothing they can do about it.

Certainly focus now needs to be on speed now that it is working.

Thanks for the contribution.

Andy

• 4. Re: FileMaker 16 Crashing in Calculation Window
                schamblee

I have not experienced crash but like Marc I have experienced delays.    

Corrupt objects on a layout or corrupt item in a container field can cause FM to crash.  It may be worth testing with a brand new database (starter solution) and verify that it crashes.  If it does not crash you may have to rebuild a layout.