Product and version

FileMaker Pro 16 Advanced (16.0.2.205)

OS and version

Windows 10 Professional

Hardware

Intel Core i7, 32GB RAM, SSD.

Intel Xeon, 24GB RAM, SSD.

Description

When entering a calculation in the Calculation Dialog using type-ahead, there is a lag of up to several seconds before what you've typed is actually entered, especially when referencing fields and when working on a hosted solution (FM Server 16, LAN, high performance server). Selecting fields or functions from the sidebars gives no lag.

How to replicate

Open Calculation Dialog from anywhere - Data Viewer, for example.

Attempt to type, say, If ( {Toname_RELATEDTONAME::fieldName ; {condition} ; {elseCondition} )

Observe the lag at "If" and when trying to enter "Toname".

Workaround (if any)

Select functions or fields from the sidebar.

• 1. Re: FileMaker 16 Windows Calculation Dialog Lag
          hschlossberg

It got drastically slower in 16 because it is using a different matching algorithm that now returns results for the typed term being found ANYWHERE within a function, field, table, etc.  So where typing a few characters in FM15 might have returned 2-3 results, FM16 will now return 20-30 results.  I think this increased number of results in the new algorithm (plus the way it now searches more than just the function name in external functions) is what is slowing it down.

In addition to being drastically slow, it also shows results with what is usually the least desirable result being at the top and/or selected, and sometimes with items in the results list that are completely and totally inexplicable.

I've reported all of this in another official forum, but I felt I needed to add my 5 cents here, as well.

Howard

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: FileMaker 16 Windows Calculation Dialog Lag
            filemakercowboy

I demonstrated this exact problem for one of the FileMaker folks at DevCon. FileMaker is clearly choosing the wrong matching item. It's maddening.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
            • 3. Re: FileMaker 16 Windows Calculation Dialog Lag
              TSGal

tshirtdan (et al):

Thank you for your posts and comments.

filemakercowboy - I can confirm one of our Support Technicians spoke with you at DevCon.

All information has been forwarded to Development and Testing for review.  When I receive any feedback, I will let you know.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 4. Re: FileMaker 16 Windows Calculation Dialog Lag
                TSGal

tshirtdan (et al):

Testing has found the opposite to be true.  In a test file under FileMaker Pro 16, three options are displayed.  Under FileMaker Pro 15, 20 options are displayed.

Testing would like a copy/clone of your file.  I have sent you a private message with instructions where to send the file.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.