8 Replies Latest reply on Aug 7, 2017 2:58 PM by beverly

Backup Your Files

DLarsen

If I hadn't had an aggressive backup plan in place yesterday I'm confident that I would be standing in the unemployment line this afternoon.

Re: All Scripts DELETED

For goodness sake, backup your files.

• 1. Re: Backup Your Files
          fmpdude

Hopefully, FMP will implement connecting scripts and other code to a real source code repository like Git so these particular problems don't happen.   Since I'm on FMP 14, which, amazingly, still doesn't have UNDO (not worth $329 to get it), I've gone back many a time to backups since I couldn't figure out (or UNDO) what I did accidentally moving a script line somewhere else.

• 2. Re: Backup Your Files
            TomHays

After you backup your files, periodically check that the backups are valid.

Many people have gone through the trouble to do "backups" only to find that what they thought were good backups were actually unusable.

Some people proclaim that "It is not a backup until it is a known, tested backup."

-Tom

1 of 1 people found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Backup Your Files
              fmpdude

On the mac, I've never had an issue with these tools:

1. SuperDuper!

2. ChronoSync

3. Time Machine

(These are the only tools I've used for production backups.)

• 4. Re: Backup Your Files
                DLarsen

And I'm not even referring to third party tools. The native FM backup routines (pause & copy) saved my butt yesterday.

• 5. Re: Backup Your Files
                  fmpdude

Do you mean the backup in FMS? I wasn't assuming that.

Thanks.

• 6. Re: Backup Your Files
                    DLarsen

That's right. In my current situation the server did not go down, one file became corrupted so I was able to just pull the last good file from the backup folder and put it in the main data folder.

But we do backup the backup copies using a third party tool and send the tapes to an off-site location every week. In this case I didn't have to recall any tapes, I just went back to the last good backup.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                    • 7. Re: Backup Your Files
                      planteg

I always said to people « the backup you will need the most is the one that was not done ». I remember reading an article a major fail in a company. They couldn't bring back a backup because the schedule backups were not running  and nobody was checking .

Doing backup is not enough, make sure they are fine.

• 8. Re: Backup Your Files
                        beverly

External backups are useful as well once FMS does its thing. The usual warnings, of course, for external backups is to NEVER touch the live running/hosted files.

But you knew that!

Beverly

Sent from miPhone