3 Replies Latest reply on Aug 9, 2017 12:55 PM by RickWhitelaw

cable modem replaced and now FM Server 15 files can't be found?

user25648

I am using FM Server 15 on a Macintosh computer to serve a file to a number of users.  My setup has been working perfectly for years. 

Recently my cable modem had been acting up, so I replaced the old ARRIS SURFboard SB6141 with a Netgear CM700.  This is a modem only.  I use an Apple router purchase last year, so that isn't that old.  Further, I have made no changes to any settings on any of the equipment.

My IP address is the same, so no updates needed when accessing the host files.

I've restarted the computer, made sure the wifi network is proper, I even opened an old version of the database file being served to make sure there was no damage to the file I am serving.  Nothing works.  Whether I try to access the hosted file from my laptop, or on my iPad, nothing works

I am at a loss.  I am not aware of any settings needing to be done on a cable modem with no wifi, but this is the only change made to the setup today.

Any ideas? 

• 1. Re: cable modem replaced and now FM Server 15 files can't be found?
          mikebeargie

can't be found how? Are you just trying to open them from your File > Open Recent menu or actually trying to find them manually using the "local hosts" option under File > Open Remote dialog?

If you type in the address of your server into the address bar in safari on the client side, what comes up?

Are you running filemaker server? Or are you hosting peer to peer?

Does the new modem have a router feature that never got turned off that might be conflicting?

• 2. Re: cable modem replaced and now FM Server 15 files can't be found?
            user25648

I'm not sure how the modem replacement could have been involved, but

somehow the port forwarding I had set up on my Airport Extreme had been

altered. The port settings still had the forwarding information, but the

DHCP Reservation pointing to the LAN IP was gone.  Go figure.

So, after lots of research and troubleshooting, the remedy was a quick fix

to the port mapping/forwarding so that the files could be accessed remotely.

Thanks much.

PS - I did follow up with FileMaker Support this afternoon and was told that changing out a cable modem can disrupt the port forwarding needed for FM Server.  So, even though I muddled through things, it turns out my resolution was the correct one.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
            • 3. Re: cable modem replaced and now FM Server 15 files can't be found?
              RickWhitelaw

I think it's nest to do the port forwarding on the modem and use the router as a pass through or whatever it's called.