7 Replies Latest reply on Aug 9, 2017 5:55 PM by algae592002

use MacBook pro camera for a container field

algae592002

Does anyone know how to use the MacBook pro camera to take pictures for a container field in a FMP database? I'm a teacher and want to take photos of students on the first few days of school and have them in the student profile page I use.

If this is at all possible, without having to take photo and then, import...it to the DB, I would be very interested in knowing how.

In any case, thank you for your time and interest.

Hope to hear from someone very soon.

Thanks.

• 1. Re: use MacBook pro camera for a container field
          mcrostie

algae592002

Your school should have access to Student image files for you to import - otherwise in your DB, have the student click on the field to take the image with the Mac Pro screen camera and save to the data

MM

• 2. Re: use MacBook pro camera for a container field
            mikebeargie

mcrostie -

Your school should have access to Student image files for you to import

In a perfect world, yes. But students change year to year, and a lot of schools don't store images so there is a legitimate need for real-time capture.

otherwise in your DB, have the student click on the field to take the image with the Mac Pro screen camera and save to the data

container fields don't work that way outside of filemaker go (Insert From Device is iOS only), so these instructions don't make sense in relation to a macbook pro. If you were using FileMaker Go, then Insert From Device would be a great way to capture photos without leaving filemaker.

algae592002 - as I noted above, filemaker pro can't capture from the webcam directly from inside of a container field. There are three ways to do this.

#1 is what you are trying to avoid, where you capture an image and then import it to a container. Although, this is the EASIEST way to go, and you can also support drag and drop of a picture to make it a bit easier to use.

#2 - You may also be able to use FileMaker's "Perform Applescript" script step to completely automate #1. This is theoretical since I haven't done it before. However, I have seen documentation that suggests this *could* be done. Essentially your filemaker script would do something like:
            -Pass the record ID to applescript.

-Applescript runs a command line action or automator action that captures the photo.

-Result of capture is named using the record ID that was passed and stored in a known location.

-Back in filemaker, insert file is used to grab the stored image into the container field.

#3 is to use a capture-capable plugin for filemaker to capture an image via script. In the past I've used this plugin for exactly this purpose:

Troi Grabber plug-in for FileMaker Pro 12-14 - Live video Preview

However it may not be compatible with OSX + later versions of filemaker.

Other plug-ins, like TWAIN capture plugins may also work here as well.

I realize this is a lot to take in, which is why I would suggest at least getting #1 (easiest) to work. Take a look at automator as well (Under your Applications > Utilities folder) to see about making an automated task for the webcam to make life easier.

• 3. Re: use MacBook pro camera for a container field
              algae592002

Hi Mike,

Thank you for your reply. I realize that I failed to mention I do have an iPad and meant to ask about using it as well, in my original post.

In any case, I will look into it, since I do use FMGo.

If you’ve done this, I would appreciate any further info on setting this up.

Thank you,

Alejandro Gatica

algae592002@yahoo.com

• 4. Re: use MacBook pro camera for a container field
                jackrodgersjr

FileMaker Go on an iPhone is my number 1 choice for inserting photos into a Container field and 16 makes this very easy. It would work the same on an iPad.

You can script this as I do when I am photographing outside or just tap into the container field for one shot.

FileMaker Go has one glaring ommission. It won't capture the GPS values as Apple does when using the Camera app.

I use the camera app and my computer stores a copy of the Photo app pictures to Dropbox. I import these using Pro and the gps data is inside.

We can discuss setting the iPTC metadata for things such as subject's name, school, etc. later... 

• 5. Re: use MacBook pro camera for a container field
                  user25183

I would love to set the apps for camera. So to use one that make adjustments on the fly for Invoice or other document making then rectangular from an angle.

• 6. Re: use MacBook pro camera for a container field
                    monkeybreadsoftware

You can use the MBS FileMaker Plugin with the AVRecorder example to show the current camera live feed in your layout and take snapshots to store in container. See AVRecorder.CaptureStillPhoto function.

• 7. Re: use MacBook pro camera for a container field
                      algae592002

Thanks for the info. I don’t need GPS values, so I’d be fine with just the photo. I have version 14 advanced for now.

Do you use any plugins or just the script features within the program?

Alejandro Gatica

algae592002@yahoo.com