9 Replies Latest reply on Aug 9, 2017 11:25 AM by philmodjunk

Report sliding/resize field understanding and Body part

user25183

I have FMP14 Mac and Win

I have made various reports that use Sliding and resize for fields in the Body part of report.

Resize work erratically, I possibly need to change some setting. Yes in the PREVIEW

Sliding up

Some records/lines work fine, but for other there is an additional space at the top or bottom of the "Body part" loosing the resize impact.

I have place a line at the end of the body part, so to see where the extra space is from.

RECORD

------- line at the end of body part

space before new record start

NEXT RECORD

Seem more frequent after a sub section is pass.

Sliding left

I have field 1 and 2, if field 1 is short I want field 2 to start next to the end of field 1. That is what I think sliding left should do.

Field1 data go here                                                Field2 data start here

Just don't understand the Sliding options

• 1. Re: Report sliding/resize field understanding and Body part
          beverly

Have you verified that the field does to have a trailing carriage return or something? I had a report where a lot failed because such white-space is invisible until you try sliding or other things.

Beverly

• 2. Re: Report sliding/resize field understanding and Body part
            philmodjunk

A screen shot of the layout in question taken while in layout mode would be helpful.

If the layout objects slide correctly for some records and not others on the same field, it's most likely a problem with your data. A return or some text made up of non-printing characters may be in the field and thus the field has more text than you can see and this will affect how much the field shrinks due to your sliding settings.

The two options "all objects above" or "only objects directly above" only affect your results when you have multiple fields in a row set to slide up in a tabular style report. If your layout is not set up that way, it doesn't make any difference that I know of in what you get.

• 3. Re: Report sliding/resize field understanding and Body part
              user25183

No, that was check

It is not from the same record, many report using same data and not siding is irregular from one report to the next on various record.

The trailing carriage return would not add space at the top of the next record, since the line I have put show that the record doesn't have trailing invisible something.

• 4. Re: Report sliding/resize field understanding and Body part
                user25183

The report is in a tabular style

Field 1     Field2     Field3     Field4

------line here

With field2 have many lines set to Sliding up base on: All objects above, Also resize enclosing part

• 5. Re: Report sliding/resize field understanding and Body part
                  philmodjunk

That's why I said, "if it works for one record and not for another in the same report."

You've now clarified that you are looking at different layouts and not getting sliding to work. You'll need to tackle them one at a time. Feel free to post a screen shot taken while in layout mode of a problem layout along with a description of what you have selected in the sliding options and what isn't working for you.

Sliding is very "picky" on little details and really needs to be modernized in a future version.

More general info on sliding:

1. If you set a field to slide up to resize the enclosing part, all objects, even those that aren't fields have to also be given the same settings.
                  2. Portals set to slide will shrink to have just enough rows to show the records visible in the portal. Fields inside the portal row do not resize.
                  3. Getting borders to work in a tabular report with sliding fields can't be done with field properties set in the inspector. Other methods using vertical and horizontal line objects have to be used. (and the horizontal lines have to slide up just like everything else.)
                  • 6. Re: Report sliding/resize field understanding and Body part
                    user25183

I think I solve the problem on Mac and WIN10 by setting all objects with

Sliding up base on: All objects above, Also resize enclosing part

(something I have try before, might have skip an object! but just one need to resize.)

Yes, Picky, try until it work

Here the preview before

2017-08-09_13-22-51_01.jpg

Sliding Left! something to understand?

• 7. Re: Report sliding/resize field understanding and Body part
                      philmodjunk

That's often the case. All it takes is one object not set to slide. There is an option in the View menu that will identify which objects on your layout have a sliding option specified. It can help find such culprits.

• 8. Re: Report sliding/resize field understanding and Body part
                        user25183

I think the real option should be to set a field to expand when needed. Avoiding the need to set the maximum height of the field (3 lines 4, 5 or 6...)

Other system such has Oracle use that direction!

Thanks

• 9. Re: Report sliding/resize field understanding and Body part
                          philmodjunk

I agree. Sliding options for FileMaker reports have seen very little change back to when it was a Flat File system. It really needs modernization as I mentioned earlier.

Wonder if there's a product idea out there we can vote for?

If not, we need to create one!