AnsweredAssumed Answered

Computer shut downs creating mysterious, recurring FM issues

Question asked by southernkross on Aug 9, 2017
Latest reply on Aug 9, 2017 by TSPigeon

Hi all.  I have a strange recurring problem with FM I wonder if someone might be able to help with.

Apologies in advanced for my lack of technical knowledge - I will do my best.

Often (but not always) when there is the need for a restart, or if there is a sudden computer shut down (eg. power cut) or simply if there are Windows updates install during a nightly shut down, FM won't open my database.  The error "file ___ could not be opened (not found)" appears.

Some details about the setup:

I have a PC with windows 10, running FM15

I am using my computer as the server for use on 5 other computers in our office network

My colleague and I have come up with the following solution that appears to resolve the issue:

1. Remove my database from the server using the admin console

2. Uninstall and reinstall FM

3. Uninstall and reinstall FM server

4. Save a copy of a recent backup version of the database onto a external hard drive

5.  Using another computer in our network: open FM. Open the backup version on the HD. Go to OBDC/JDBC settings. OBDC sharing is then switched on. Then go to specify privileges, then tick all users' boxes (they are unticked).

6. We upload the backup version to my computer.

As you can see this is rather convoluted and frustrating to have to do regularly. Unfortunately it seems to be necessary to get around the variety of errors preventing our progress.

Whatever the problem is, it doesn't seem to be originating from Filemaker per se- it appears to be a windows 10 conflict and one that is perhaps specific to my computer.  A windows setting seems to revert to a default during restarts/shut down. However, nothing else on my computer is affected in any way, only FM.

Other notes:

- We have sample files that don't seem to be affected by the problem they can all be shared on the server without issues.The server continues to work, my database won't.

- We have tried temporarily changing firewall settings when attempting to open the program but no change.

What I'm looking for is suggestion for preventing this stuff from happening. Any ideas?

Outcomes