3 Replies Latest reply on Aug 9, 2017 4:59 PM by TSPigeon

Computer shut downs creating mysterious, recurring FM issues

southernkross

Hi all.  I have a strange recurring problem with FM I wonder if someone might be able to help with.

Apologies in advanced for my lack of technical knowledge - I will do my best.

Often (but not always) when there is the need for a restart, or if there is a sudden computer shut down (eg. power cut) or simply if there are Windows updates install during a nightly shut down, FM won't open my database.  The error "file ___ could not be opened (not found)" appears.

Some details about the setup:

I have a PC with windows 10, running FM15

I am using my computer as the server for use on 5 other computers in our office network

My colleague and I have come up with the following solution that appears to resolve the issue:

1. Remove my database from the server using the admin console

2. Uninstall and reinstall FM

3. Uninstall and reinstall FM server

4. Save a copy of a recent backup version of the database onto a external hard drive

5.  Using another computer in our network: open FM. Open the backup version on the HD. Go to OBDC/JDBC settings. OBDC sharing is then switched on. Then go to specify privileges, then tick all users' boxes (they are unticked).

6. We upload the backup version to my computer.

As you can see this is rather convoluted and frustrating to have to do regularly. Unfortunately it seems to be necessary to get around the variety of errors preventing our progress.

Whatever the problem is, it doesn't seem to be originating from Filemaker per se- it appears to be a windows 10 conflict and one that is perhaps specific to my computer.  A windows setting seems to revert to a default during restarts/shut down. However, nothing else on my computer is affected in any way, only FM.

Other notes:

- We have sample files that don't seem to be affected by the problem they can all be shared on the server without issues.The server continues to work, my database won't.

- We have tried temporarily changing firewall settings when attempting to open the program but no change.

What I'm looking for is suggestion for preventing this stuff from happening. Any ideas?

• 1. Re: Computer shut downs creating mysterious, recurring FM issues
          TSPigeon

southernkross:

Thank you for your post!

sudden computer shut down (eg. power cut)

Forcing the machine to shutdown or having it lose power can cause damage to the FileMaker Server installation and potentially your databases as the Service isn't properly stopped nor the Files properly closed.

Windows 10 was not tested to work with FileMaker Server 15, so you may have a conflict with the operating system. Usually problems after a reboot are caused by OS-level settings or third-party software.

As far as Third-Party software goes, make sure the FileMaker Server Folder is not being scanned by Anti-Virus/Security. Any backup software should only be touching the Backups folder.

Are your Database Files being hosted from a non-default location (external drive for example)?

TSPigeon

FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: Computer shut downs creating mysterious, recurring FM issues
            southernkross

Thank you so much for your thoughts! I think you are on the right track.

We had been initially running FM13 for a few months but then were forced to update to FM15 when we wanted to run the database on the server.

When I think of it, my database is a .fmp12 file. My colleague was the one who originally created it and may have done so on FM12.  Perhaps, this could be a factor? If so is there a way to convert it to a FM15 file?

As for the security scans, I will try to exclude the server folder in future.

I previously had it backing up to the external hard drive, but at the moment I'm just relying on the daily backups that are saved to the server. We are planning on improving this system and backing up to an external hard drive and/or the cloud.

• 3. Re: Computer shut downs creating mysterious, recurring FM issues
              TSPigeon

southernkross:

The .fmp12 is the current File Type through Version 16, so no worries there.

It is definitely a good idea to have plenty of backups. Just make sure not to backup anything in the FileMaker Server folder except the Backups folder.

You might also review System Requirements for FileMaker Server 15

Let us know if you have any other issue with files staying closed or any further information that might narrow down a cause.

TSPigeon

FileMaker, Inc.