1 2 3 Previous Next 31 Replies Latest reply on Aug 10, 2017 8:11 PM by JimmyCox

FileMaker Certification and professional name suffix:  John Doe, FMCD

taylorsharpe

Some of us guys at the Dallas FMPUG were talking about other ways to be recognized as a professional.  Some discussion were doing other things like getting BBB approved.  FileMaker of course recognizes businesses wishing to resell licenses by joining the FBA program.  But for individual recognition, FileMaker has the Certification program certifying individuals by version. 

Some of the discussion was about marketing and how to get people to prompt and ask more about FileMaker or recognize certification by individuals.  Coming from another industry in the past, the certification organization authorized those who met the requirements to add a suffix to their name.  There are some recognized governmental suffixes are such as PE for Professional Engineer.  But most organizations bestowing such credentials and authorizing use of a suffix are from trade associations (e.g., health, environmental, tech, etc.).  

What would you think of FileMaker specifically authorizing those who have passed the certification exam to use a suffix of something like FMCD for FileMaker Certified Developer?  This would make a John Doe be authorized to use Joe Doe, FMCD.

What would be the reason for doing something like this?  Well, the main reason is that it it prompts people to ask what "those letters are behind your name?"  It would be for professional recognition in a way that a certificate hanging on your wall does not.  It could be used in your name on things like LinkedIn. 

What would be the reasons for not doing this?  Well, it isn't necessary and you have use of the FM certified logo already if you are so certified.  It will never have the recognition of things like MSCE or DVN.  And maybe FileMaker doesn't want this. 

I kind of think it is a good idea in that I am trying to promote my professionalism as a matter or marketing in my business.  But we thought we might banter this around in a discussion here to see what other people think or if there are other ideas. 

• 1. Re: FileMaker Certification and professional name suffix:  John Doe, FMCD
          William-Porter

I doubt the idea that Taylor described started with me but I was talking with Taylor about how the Professional Photographers Association (PPA) certifies professional photographers, and certified photographers proudly display "CPP" after their names. CPPs are respected in the industry, charge more, and I can assure you that they display those letters proudly. (The PPA offers two other certifications: for evidentiary photographers and now for drone photographers!)

I think FMCD ("FileMaker Certified Developer") or CFME ("Certified FileMaker Engineer") would be nice or perhaps "FCSE". I know I've seen people display "MCSE" after their names ("Microsoft Certified Solutions Expert").

Will

• 2. Re: FileMaker Certification and professional name suffix:  John Doe, FMCD
            davidhead

There would be nothing stopping you doing that now.

Would be interesting if anyone asked what it stood for.

Cheers,

David Head, FCD16

• 3. Re: FileMaker Certification and professional name suffix:  John Doe, FMCD
              Philip_Jaffe

Took the words right out of my mouth.  FileMaker can control the use of its logo, but there is no intellectual property or copyright attached to letters of the alphabet.  If you want to do it, go for it.  Maybe it'll catch on!

• 4. Re: FileMaker Certification and professional name suffix:  John Doe, FMCD
                JimmyCox

Maybe it's just an Australian state of mind thing, but I feel like adding a suffix to your name will make you look, as we say in Australia, like a bit of a wanker.

• 5. Re: FileMaker Certification and professional name suffix:  John Doe, FMCD
                  Philip_Jaffe

I tend to agree.  I mean, I didn't go to four years of FileMaker university.  I took a test and passed.  Not an insignificant thing, but does it merit letters?  Nah, probably not.

Still, if it makes you feel good, go for it, I say.

• 6. Re: FileMaker Certification and professional name suffix:  John Doe, FMCD
                    William-Porter

@JimmyCox: I understand your feeling and it's the reason I assumed @DavidHead was joking.

But the reason you'd look -- well, the reason somebody doing this would look like a wanker is that it's simply not a sanctioned usage. I mean, anybody could put "WGFD" after their name ("World's Greatest FileMaker Developer") if they desired. But that would be weird and dumb. On the other hand, putting "Certified FileMaker Developer" is a sanctioned usage, as is the use of the "Certified" logo. And many people do it. FileMaker has a whole area of its website devoted to helping customers find certified developers. Personally, none of this is my cup of tea. But a lot of us are far less savvy about marketing than is good for us.

In the world of professional photography, at least until you're so famous that you need no introduction at all, people are not embarrassed to put that "CPP" on their business cards or in their email sigs, and none of the folks I've known personally who do this are wankers. That's the world they work in, it's a respected achievement, it's something that's meaningful to potential clients.

My oldest daughter will soon finish her boards in OB/GYN. I can assure you doctors put all their certifications after their names. And if you think doctors are all so much more brilliant than software developers, well, let me add that lawyers sport their board certifications proudly too.

I'm not entirely sure what Taylor was thinking of in the original post. He and I have talked about this but we don't have anything like a worked out "program"! Personally I think FMI ought to rethink certification in some basic ways.

• 7. Re: FileMaker Certification and professional name suffix:  John Doe, FMCD
                      taylorsharpe

JimmyCox wrote:

Maybe it's just an Australian state of mind thing, but I feel like adding a suffix to your name will make you look, as we say in Australia, like a bit of a wanker.

Hey Jimmy... not sure what you mean by wanker and I'm sure it is an Australian thing.  But I assume you mean it derogatorily.  So what do you do to set yourself apart professionally.  I'm thinking about this primarily for a business marketing perspective.  And just saying work product is good is not good enough because I know many businesses that had a good product that failed.  Hence the discussion included such things as being a member of the Better Business Bureau.  Or do you think people would really look down on you for using credentials with your name at least in professional purposes?

• 8. Re: FileMaker Certification and professional name suffix:  John Doe, FMCD
                        JimmyCox

It is a derogatory term and it was in no way directed at you. It was a way of saying that it might make one who uses it is a bit 'full of themselves'.

It was just my feeling on the idea. But again this could be an Australian thing, as tall poppy syndrome is pretty ingrained in our culture over here.

I think you could put FileMaker Certified Developer on a business cards to set your self apart, but I think if I saw a suffix on someones name I would assume it was some kind of degree or doctorate.

So I wouldn't want to be in the position where I had to explain to someone "Oh no, no degree here I'm just certified" so in terms of business marketing over here at least I think it wouldn't work.

But hey I don't pretend to know the culture involved with business marketing in the US so perhaps it could work for you guys.

• 9. Re: FileMaker Certification and professional name suffix:  John Doe, FMCD
                          DamianKelly

Its much the same in the UK, its seem as slightly cocky even when its off the back of a considerable number of years effort. The exception is the Post Hole Digger (PHd) where you might refer to a friend with one as doc although even this is slightly teasing.

Damian Kelly MBA, MSc, CEng, MIEE

• 10. Re: FileMaker Certification and professional name suffix:  John Doe, FMCD
                            coherentkris

So would i have to be FMCD10,11,12,13,14,15?

• 11. Re: FileMaker Certification and professional name suffix:  John Doe, FMCD
                              CICT

I love these cross culture threads!

Taylor, a wanker is someone who can't get a root!

As a Brit who has spent much of my life with Americans (always lived near USAF bases in the UK) and my early days riding motor cycles with no brakes going round corners sideways in the UK and Australia; the phrase "3 countries separated by a common language" comes to mind.

Best laugh I've had on this forum to date and makes up for boring password threads. Thanks Taylor and Jimmy.

All the best

Andy

• 12. Re: FileMaker Certification and professional name suffix:  John Doe, FMCD
                                beverly

1. research thoroughly the acronym 'FMCD' - you would hate to choose it and discover:

a. that is means something wholly illegal, immoral, or otherwiser negative

b. that it is already copyrighted by someone and your usage would lead to litigation

2. JMHO, such a 'title' may appear in a signature line (fully & not as acronym) and that's sufficient

3. Some qualified idividuals may choose not to use any suffix, & it must be a choice!

Beverly

• 13. Re: FileMaker Certification and professional name suffix:  John Doe, FMCD
                                  jormond

Can I use:

Josh Ormond, FMCLOTY17, AAGG, RFGTWW

• 14. Re: FileMaker Certification and professional name suffix:  John Doe, FMCD
                                    taylorsharpe

OK, Jimmy.  I guess the alternative is putting the FM certification logo on your business card instead as the way to set yourself apart.  And maybe things are different in Australia than here.  A lot of professionals in the USA have business cards with suffixes of their professionalism.  And it is only used for places like business cards or a business web site or other professional advertisement.  People don't go around putting them on personal communication.  So maybe part if the decision is what is the business culture in your country. 

1 2 3 Previous Next