AnsweredAssumed Answered

Amalgamating data structures.

Question asked by PaulSeabright on Aug 13, 2017
Latest reply on Aug 13, 2017 by philmodjunk

I have a copy of a live solution, consisting of a structure and a data file AKA The Separation Model.

I have written another module for this that uses the data file as the basis, and added fields to existing tables and new tables were necessary - a fork if you will of the original.

I want to combine the structure of the original data file, and the fork (the data doesn't matter at this stage - its all test data).  I thought I could achieve this by first making sure that the original data file had all of the tables, and fields (and the names were the same) as the forked data file.  Then in the forked structure file, point all the T.O's to the original data file.

At this point I can almost hear the groans from the seasoned developers out there!

Pointing the TO's to the original data file went reasonably well, with a few relationships that needed to be recreated.

However, I was not expecting the 'Field Missing' errors on layouts and more concerning, in scripts...

My question is, what causes this - why does it happen?

and, is there a better way to achieve the goal of unifying the two data structures?

Many thanks for your help.

Outcomes