AnsweredAssumed Answered

Trouble getting related fields and portals to work. Relationship issues?

Question asked by karenola888 on Aug 16, 2017
Latest reply on Aug 24, 2017 by beverly

Firstly, I'd like to say that when learning a new product it is difficult not to put expectations that one is used to from other products (like Excel, etc.). Given that - I think I'm close but struggling with what probably is similar throughout my project - I'm thinking maybe in the tables and relationships. I'm building a work order system for a school and have everything laid out to what I think makes sense. I'm attaching a spreadsheet that has several screen shots of what I'm running into and trying to do. What's working and what isn't. If I could just peck away at a couple of these - I think others will fall into place.

The tables colored in an orange/red are what I refer to as look-up tables (join tables?) to feed pop-ups. It doesn't look like there is much data in them, but this will grow once the project goes live, so I'd like the user to be able to maintain these tables as data changes over time. I'm kind of surprised I can't even get those to work in several areas!

Please let me know if any further information would be helpful and I appreciate any assistance that can help me move forward.  Thank you so very much! (I am working in Filemaker Pro 16 - and this process will be used on an apple laptop, although I am developing it on a PC.)

Karen

Outcomes