AnsweredAssumed Answered

Excel Import Starts At The Wrong Column

Question asked by briancrockett on Aug 17, 2017
Latest reply on Aug 18, 2017 by philmodjunk

Sorry this is long but it's a little complicated to explain.

I created an Excel File for our customers to fill in with their order data. At the top it has a logo and some address information then below I have the lines of order data. It all works perfectly. I have script loop through the top rows and extract the address info and delete those records so when its finished I have my address stuff nicely set into Global fields and only the order data in the table.

The problem is our Customer Service manager now says it would be better to just give our some customers the column order so they can make their own Excel files for us to import and the rest could use the template I created.  Fine, I'm thinking my script will just skip the address stuff because I was using hidden numbers in column I to identify the address rows. Without them it should just skip to the order data.

So the problem. In my original Excel file I'm skipping column A and starting at column B so everything looks centered. When I create a new Excel file with just the order data in column B to H FileMaker import skips column B and everything is shifted over one column. It's like it's starting at column B instead of A and treating B like it was A.  I tried moving the columns over by one and I get the same problem. The import seems to then recognize Column C as the first column in the file and skips it. Basically which ever column has data in it FileMaker recognizes as the first column.

Yet in my original file it always starts at Column A even when I cleared column A of all formats and content.

I need to have a script that can automatically import both Excel Files. Has anyone dealt with this before?

I guess the simplest thing is to modify my original Excel File to start at column A. This means it's going to look funny but then I can use both kinds of files.

Outcomes