AnsweredAssumed Answered

Save Button / OnRecordCommit / Revert - Best Practices??

Question asked by dewitte on Aug 18, 2017
Latest reply on Aug 20, 2017 by dewitte

HI all.  I tracked down a bug in my save routine yesterday and in doing so, I uncovered some major flawed logic.  Without going into a lot of detail on the flawed part - I'll just say I had multiple commit statements both in my save script and my onrecordcommit script.  It seems that I was thinking you had to overtly execute the COMMIT statement during the onrecordcommit.  So IN my onrecordcommit script I had something like:

Do you want to save record?

Yes:

COMMIT; No Dialog

NO

REVERT

But in running the debugger, you actually see the commit trigger an onrecordcommit script.  At one point, I even had a nasty loop going.

The logic now works as follows (please let me know if I'm back on track):

Save Button Script:

Set var $$SavePressed=1  -- so we know the user initiated the save - and yes, I do reset this to zero (just not in this example)

Commit Records; No Dialog

OnRecordCommit Script:

If $$Savepressed=1

run script that sets fields and does other updates based on what user has done

exit script true

else

dialog: "Do you want to save record or revert changes?"

if save

run script that sets fields and does other updates based on what user has done

exit script true

else

revert record  --------- is this correct?  because if I don't do this, the false exit leaves the record changed but not committed

exit script false

end if

end if

Now if a user moves off the record - it asks and the record gets committed.  If the user clicks save, it also commits.

My confusion is that I didn't realize commit had already started by the time you reached onrecordcommit and all you can do now is exit false to abort the commit.  I somehow, erroneously, thought that onrecordcommit was more of a "you are now taking over filemakers built-in commit function, so you have to manually execute the commit statement"

Follow-up / related question - In my data entry screen I have a portal linked to a global field in my main table.  If I alter the global field to update the portal, I've been adding a commit on my onobjectexit to update the portal because it seems that if I didn't commit the global field, the join didn't update. However, wouldn't this commit also trigger the onrecordcommit script?  I thought I needed this commit in order for the portal relationship to work.  (but I haven't retested this since I made the above changes)

Thanks!

Outcomes