taylorsharpe

Data Viewer Product Improvement suggestions

Discussion created by taylorsharpe on Aug 20, 2017
Latest reply on Aug 22, 2017 by fmpdude

I'm thinking about submitting a product improvement suggestion here on how to improve the data viewer.  Before I do so formally, I thought I'd run it by some of you guys if you have other suggestions or comments. 

• The Data Viewer locks me up a lot doing calculations I don't need.  I would like a button to tell it to stop calculating and return control to the user and it can just display uncalculated fields/variables as No Result or something like that.  Maybe even just the Escape button would work.  And then another button to turn it back on and start calculating again.  That way I can stop it calculating and go several steps debugging and then tell it to start calculating when I need it and not before. 
  • I would like to be able to toggle fields in the "Current" tab to turn them off or on, particularly summary fields that are making the data viewer almost useless if calculated for every step while debugging. 
  • I would like the data viewer to give a choice to wrap text or not in the results box for creating a watch calc.  Working with arrays and having it wrap makes them really hard to read.  Sometimes wrapping is nice, but sometimes not.  Having a choice would be nice. 
  • I would like to be able to display array results in a table or spreadsheet form.  If the Results Display could toggle to a Table View like in layout mode with the option to choose the field and record separators.  As we start using more JSON and RESTful API data, working with Arrays and making it easier will be needed.  Right now I have to copy and paste it into Excel which is annoying. 
  • Find and Replace in the Expression area.  When writing a formula and editing it, Find and Replace would be helpful for longer calculations. 

What do you think of these suggestions?  Do you have others to include or do any of these seem unreasonable to you?

Outcomes