AnsweredAssumed Answered

Advice for building a custom estimation tool?

Question asked by dc1 on Aug 29, 2017
Latest reply on Aug 29, 2017 by beverly

Hey Filemaker Community,

I'm trying to build a simple custom estimation tool for my company, and I'm wondering how to tailor Filemaker Pro to my needs.  Currently all my calculations are in a different parts of a big spreadsheet, and when I have to create an estimate, I need to individually find each number and add it up in a new sheet.  I would like an easy way to enter different numerical variables, select different style options from drop down menus, and have a few "yes/no" checkboxes.  Depending on the variables entered, it would pull specific numbers from different spreadsheet(s)/data sets and automatically tally the estimate on an individual page for that item.  There would probably be about 6-10 different variables to enter with several options per variable, and there would be a lot of "if/then" relationships to pull the right number.

Can anyone give me some pointers on how to do this with Filemaker?  Is there a good starter solution that I can customize off of?  I have looked at the "Estimates" starter solution, but that looks to be more focused on clients/CRM than the calculations we need.  This is my first Filemaker project, and I'm excited to learn the platform.

Thanks!

Outcomes