We have a couple of times now, developed solutions where we have a "Staging" database file that transports data between FileMaker and a MySQL Database, using ESS. We develop on Macs, and the development has been in FileMaker 14, 15 and 16, and we used the Actual Technologies driver on the server to create the ODBC System DSN to talk to the MySql database. These databases when completed are deployed at customer sites, which so far have been Windows 2012 R2 Servers, and use the Microsoft supplied ODBC drivers.
The problem we have run into has been that when we open the database file in FileMaker on Windows machines, while the layouts all see the table occurrences and display the data, opening a table occurrence of a shadow table in the relationship graph, the table occurrence does not show as being associated with any of the shadow tables. If we select one of the MySQL tables, a *new* shadow table is created.
For the moment, if we have to alter fields etc, we take the file off the Windows Server, and put it on the Mac server, make our changes, and then put it back on the Windows server.
Since this happens every time we develop an ESS based solution, I find it hard to believe no-one has ever come across this before?
Steps to reproduce
1) using FileMaker Pro Advanced on a Mac (any version 14 through 16) create a new database file, host it on a Mac FileMaker Server of any version 14 to 16.
2) set up an ODBC System DSN using the Actual Technologies Driver to talk to a MySQL Database
3) create a table occurrence of one of the MySql Database tables in the FileMaker Database
4) Transport the database file to a Windows 2012 R2 Server hosted FileMaker Server, configured to use the Microsoft ODBC driver to talk to the same MySQL database
5) open the FileMaker Database and then double click on the same table occurrence that was created in step 3
6) hopefully you'll see it not knowing about the shadow table it's supposed to be connected to. If so, select the same table as you did at step 3, you should see it create a second shadow table in the FileMaker Database file.
Is there anything we can do to make it see the original shadow tables when the relationship graph is opened on a windows machine?