AnsweredAssumed Answered

Best Script for combining value list field and text field

Question asked by longball22 on Sep 1, 2017
Latest reply on Sep 1, 2017 by philmodjunk

Hi

I have a database with a value list field and multiple fields with descriptions of each item in the value list. For example, in my value list, I have birds, fish, insects, and snakes. I have 4 corresponding fields called: "Birds Description", "Fish Description", "Insects Description", and "Snakes Description".

Right now, when I click on the 'birds' checkbox in my 'Animals' field, the 'All Descriptions' field gets populated as shown:

-----------

Birds

Flying and nonflying vertebrates that lay eggs. They usually have wings and do not have teeth.

-----------

When additional items are checked, it looks as shown:

-----------

Birds

Fish

Flying and nonflying vertebrates that lay eggs. They usually have wings and do not have teeth.

Gilled aquatic animals that do not have limbs with digits.

-----------

I am wanting to change this to be the following:

-----------

Birds

Fish

Gilled aquatic animals that do not have limbs with digits.

-----------

The catch is I want the 'All Description' field to be editable after I check the boxes. To achieve what I have already done, I wrote a script that just copies over what is in the 'Animals' checkbox field and if it contains a certain item (e.g. snakes) then add that description. I did this as an 'OnObjectModify' script trigger.

Outcomes