Fred(CH)

Managing Custom Access to Layouts

Discussion created by Fred(CH) on Sep 5, 2017
Latest reply on Sep 20, 2017 by TSGal

Product and version

FileMaker Pro 13->16.0.2 (probably since 7.0)

OS and version

OS X 10.11.6

Hardware

iMac (Retina 5K, 27 inch, late 2014)

Description

Managing Custom Access to Layouts can fail to apply with a short error message "Used by Privilege Set" (translated from french) depending on what was the selection before Admin choose "Custom Privileges" on local menu. In English, after a try, sounds like the error message is more detailed but still make no sense to me, stating : "The current combination of privilege is not valid. It's not possible to both allow the creation of new object and disallow the modification of new objects".

How to replicate

Go to Managing Security

Create a new Privilege Set

Push all access "Up"; in particular, make sure the choice for "Layouts" is defined as "All modifiables".

Then Try to Customize access to Layouts, defining the last entry [All brend new layouts] to "Read only".

Workaround (if any)

Go back to the manage panel

Choose "All view only"

Then Go to Customize access to Layouts, defining the last entry [All brend new layouts] to "Read only".

Remarks

There is a chance that testing / dev dept will say that it is expected behavior due to some circonvoluted reasons. If it is the case, just please responds them that as a reasonably experienced developer (10 years and 5 certifications), i took near twenty minutes to understand why i get this error. So if not a bug, it is for sure a bad design, but no, i will not create a new record in product idea area in order to expect a better design on this .

Outcomes