AnsweredAssumed Answered

Noob question re serving files

Question asked by flyingdesigner on Sep 6, 2017
Latest reply on Sep 6, 2017 by William-Porter

Hi. I've done a lot of poking around to try to answer my question and have read several threads that touch on it, but that I don't fully understand, so I'm going to ask the question in a newbie form...

I would like to use FMP to build a database for my wine collection.  I would like to be able to access my database from both my laptop, my iPad, and my iPhone. For example, I plan to use camera integration features on the mobile device to search the database via barcodes, etc. when I'm at the store. This is not something that I plan on monetizing.

1. Now, as far as I can tell, that would mean that I would need to host the file on a filemaker server.  Is that true?  It seems prohibitively expensive...

2. Or is there a workaround for a single user? 

3. FYI - I already have a virtual machine (a vcolo with panix) that hosts my website and I'm wondering if the file can live there, which I guess would mean licensing the server software, right?  I recall reading something about an annual developer's license being a cheap way of doing this.

4. If I made a standalone app, would it still require the same server software to handle the data file?

It may be that FileMaker has priced me out of using their software.  If that is the case, would anyone have a suggestion of what software to consider in order to to accomplish this?

I know you all are pro users and I appreciate your time.  Thanks very much indeed for any insight. 

Marcus

Outcomes