AnsweredAssumed Answered

Pasting Popover Button Over-Preserves Boldface and Italic Text

Question asked by richardsrussell on Sep 7, 2017
Latest reply on Sep 11, 2017 by richardsrussell

This is a product issue (what we used to call a bug).

FileMaker Pro Advanced 16.0.2.205

MacOS Sierra 10.12.6

3 different computers (my own and 2 clients), mine is an iMac, the clients are on Mac Minis

I have popover buttons that provide explanatory text. Here's a scaled-down version of a typical message:

Intro: There are a bunch of fields at the foot of the record that allow you to take care of certain common housekeeping procedures for each record. This is how they work.

Notes: The "Notes" field gives you a place to enter any little notes or comments about the record that aren't otherwise provided for in the regular fields....

Tags: The "Tag" box lets you flag temporary subsets of records for ad hoc purposes.... Because "Tag" is intended for temporary use, you should never assume that it's got the same stuff in it as it had the last time you used it. Somebody else may have subsequently used it for some other purpose.

Since the fields being described show up in lots of different places in my systems, I want that little "?" button to appear near all of them. So I copy it and paste it onto other screens where it's appropriate. But when I check out the text in the pasted-in button, it seems as if the boldfacing and italicizing don't know when to quit, and I get this:

Notes: The "Notes" field gives you a place to enter any little notes or comments about the record that aren't otherwise provided for in the regular fields....

Tags: The "Tag" box lets you flag temporary subsets of records for ad hoc purposes.... Because "Tag" is intended for temporary use, you should never assume that it's got the same stuff in it as it had the last time you used it. Somebody else may have subsequently used it for some other purpose.

Why?

Current workaround is to have to manually edit each and everyone one of those pasted-in popover buttons, but clearly it would be way more efficient if the pasting process preserved the original formatting.

Outcomes