AnsweredAssumed Answered

Disassociating a field from all value lists

Question asked by philipHPG on Sep 8, 2017
Latest reply on Sep 11, 2017 by richardsrussell

Recently when using FM Perception to locate references to a specific value list in our database, I came across some strange entries. After looking into it, I realized that some Drop-down List fields had been duplicated and changed to Edit boxes. The value list from the original Drop-down List field was still saved in the field metadata even though it was now an Edit box. I'm not aware of any way to completely disassociate a field from value lists altogether. Once a field has been assigned to a value list, it will always reference some value list. Am I missing something? Is there a way to do that?

It seems like I have three options to deal with situations where a Drop-down List field was duplicated and changed to an Edit box (so that they don't continue to appear in FM Perception or similar): 1). create a "Blank" or "dummy" value list and change any such duplicated fields to use that value list; or 2). re-create the fields from scratch to ensure they aren't associated with a value list; or 3). convince FM Perception to change their system not to show a field as using a value list if it is an Edit box.

Other ideas? Are there other factors I should consider?

Thanks

Outcomes